Tryouts? What is the #1 thing coaches look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
1) Catchers
2) Pitchers

Quincy.... my DD is a pitcher and I tell her catchers win games, not pitchers.

About a year ago my DD's team had a team camp with James Madison at our facility. Head coach Mickey Dean went out of his way several times to say pitchers don't win games, pitchers lose games!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
A coach I know told me how he would run tryouts with a very large group of girls.

First, he would have all the girls run, as a group, from point A to point B. The girls in the slow half would all be sent home. Then he would finish the tryouts with the girls in the fast half.

This guy really meant it. Just before starting freshman year, my DD 1 had only 2 years of rec league play, and was a 2nd year 14U. He asked her to try out for a 16U team he put together, and every other girl on the tryout was either going to be a sophomore or a junior. But he put my DD 1 on the team, just based on her speed and potential. (She quit the team a few months later, because she felt way over her head).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have a couple large players on our Team this year, very comfortable them running 60'. Not sure about 120'.

They will not win any track meets but they are always were they are supposed to be and good. Take them over our fastest player.

They know they are slow and seem to make thier decisions faster.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We probably have the best C in leaque, never catches for DD of couse just the other pitchers.

Last game the other Team was really aggressive running bases, we had 3 pickle plays.

Best moment of game ...

I think thier fastest runner stole 2nd on close call, she was safe
#2 attempt, out
#3 attempt, out
#4 attempt, I think the 1st base coach sent her because 3rd base coach was yelling no. Out. :)

Jun 21, 2015
A coach I know told me how he would run tryouts with a very large group of girls.

First, he would have all the girls run, as a group, from point A to point B. The girls in the slow half would all be sent home. Then he would finish the tryouts with the girls in the fast half.

This guy really meant it. Just before starting freshman year, my DD 1 had only 2 years of rec league play, and was a 2nd year 14U. He asked her to try out for a 16U team he put together, and every other girl on the tryout was either going to be a sophomore or a junior. But he put my DD 1 on the team, just based on her speed and potential. (She quit the team a few months later, because she felt way over her head).

My daughter is not known for her running speed. That would knock her out of that tryout. That's a shame because not all kids are fast runners. As a catcher though, she is quick behind the plate and can hit. All of her coaches know she isn't a fast base runner and it never kept her off a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Things I look for in evaluating a potential new player (in no particular order)...

- Fundamental skills appropriate for the level of play (fielding, throwing, game knowledge, etc.)
- Hitting (power, quickness, mechanics)
- Attitude and focus
- Coachability
- Interaction with other players and coaches
- Athletiticsm
- Parents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00