Trying to milk the clock.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Most important fact about this topic is the clock starts the beginning of the game for both teams. Whether it's being paid attention to or not, time is running down, ignore it at your own peril.

Both teams can work the clock.
Simply the coach who isn't paying attention to the clock, isn't paying attention to something important in the game. (which btw coaches could be lousy at and/or ignoring other factors that affect the game also)

Purposely Being Cheesy
imo is unsportsman like.
That said
Working the clock doesn't have to be cheesy.
Every inning is the opportunity to be efficient with time. Or let some time lapse throughout the inning. Accumulating or shaving minutes.

Multiple other sports have a clock.
What happens on the field/court are strategically planned to the countdown of time. From this, it is reasonable that working the clock in softball would additionally happen.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
yes, the difference is, in those other sports, when you call timeout, the clock stops. That is where things (for me) can get, to use your term, cheesy.

Actually there are ways to be efficient with time or let time elapse when the clock does not stop.
Example basketball and soccer can pass the ball around more. That eats up time.

Can you offer some suggestions that you would be fine with teams working the clock strategy?

I can think of ways that softball can be efficient or eat up time on the field for instance taking full 20 seconds for the pitcher to get the next signal before she releases the pitch that can eat up a lot of time but it is within regulation. Or they can do the opposite and quickly get the next pitch delivered that is efficient quick use of time.
Batters can use same strategy.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
yes, the difference is, in those other sports, when you call timeout, the clock stops. That is where things (for me) can get, to use your term, cheesy.

... and calling time out to stop the clock in those sports is still a way to manipulate the clock and prolong a game. Also cheesy, right?

PS -- the clock doesn't stop in soccer. (The official does have discretion to add time.)

May 13, 2023
If we're talkin cheesy food, now i'm onboard....
Use discretion looking at this video it may affect your food cravings... 😄

May 29, 2015
Damn you, @RADcatcher .... damn you ...

200w.gif

80/20 is the secret.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles