Trying to milk the clock.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
In the little tournament I run (~30 teams across 5 age groups, C-Rec level teams) the format of hit the time limit, finish the inning you are on, then play one more inning has gone well. Only had one grumbling from an umpire because his +1 inning lasted 25 minutes. Between the format and it being a little lower key, we don't see the shenanigans.

this makes a lot of sense. Is the time limit a little lower than normal to account for that I'm guessing?

What we deal with at the lower levels is trying to guess if this inning is going to go over or not, and then agreeing with the other team to make it the last or not, because the last has no run limit. But you often get situations where we're at like 25 minutes from the end, and if it's not the last inning you're using a lesser pitcher and the inning potentially takes 35 via walks, versus pitching your best pitcher, the home team is winning, and suddenly the game is over with like 10-15 minutes to go.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Time is part of the game now. And if the rules allow stalling as a tactic, then it is what it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it or would choose to participate in those tactics. I'm a fan of "let the players decide the game", but having a clock won't change since more teams/games = more $$$.

As Pattar said, at the end of the day if you don't like the stalling tactics....don't let the game get to that point.

I think the frustrating thing watching DD's team....is they'll let it get to the "oh poop, we're out of time" moment and all of a sudden put it into another gear. Sometimes they eek it out. Other times they don't. Waiting for the lightbulb to turn on to simply start the game that way.

We start every game that way. Always hustle. Players have runners on base gloves ready to go, we are always hustle.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
this makes a lot of sense. Is the time limit a little lower than normal to account for that I'm guessing?

What we deal with at the lower levels is trying to guess if this inning is going to go over or not, and then agreeing with the other team to make it the last or not, because the last has no run limit. But you often get situations where we're at like 25 minutes from the end, and if it's not the last inning you're using a lesser pitcher and the inning potentially takes 35 via walks, versus pitching your best pitcher, the home team is winning, and suddenly the game is over with like 10-15 minutes to go.
Yeah, the younger groups have 45 min +1 and older groups have 60 min +1. That allows 1:15 and 1:30 time slot spacing respectively. A couple overruns did happen, but for the most part we stayed on schedule, and were able to run over the fields with a groomer between games.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
DD's team had a pool game a few weeks ago where they were on a rally back from being down 0-5 the whole game and were the visiting team. Get to 3-05 or 4-5 (I can't totally remember) and third out happens. Home team comes up. Only a handful of minutes left in the game. First out was quick. Second was a touch longer, but still time to get the Third out and start a new inning. On the way back to the dugout, both coach and hitter (2nd out) start chirping/yelling at the umpire. DD was playing 3B, mentioned hearing a F-bomb from the player. Hitter gets ejected. Coach decides to get his money's worth. Time expired, ballgame.

Hadn't experienced that one yet. Would they have gotten the 3rd out in time? Would they have completed the rally and then held the other team? Who knows. But, timed games aren't new anymore. At least this tournament allowed them to finish the inning and it wasn't a hard stop.
I hope that there were not any college coaches at that game. Can't imagine a college coach would care for a player yelling profanity at an umpire. There have been a ton of coaches at our last two tournaments.

May 29, 2015
True, but for some of us, there is a point where you are taking control of the game away from the girls.

No nice way to say this, and I’ll apologize if I am taking your statement wrong …

That statement comes off the same as “You’re taking the bat out of their hands” and “It’s not about you!”

The magic word that earns ejections is “you” because, when a person levels that word at somebody else, that person is not some noble, altruistic knight. They say “you” because they really are only thinking about “me.” It isn’t about their team or their kids, it is about them.

Depending on the level and the age, the girls are not in control of the game. The coach should be controlling the team’s game. If he/she hasn’t said one word about hustle or time to the team throughout the game, the there shouldn’t be one word said about it to anybody else in the closing moments.

Sep 19, 2018
No nice way to say this, and I’ll apologize if I am taking your statement wrong …

That statement comes off the same as “You’re taking the bat out of their hands” and “It’s not about you!”

The magic word that earns ejections is “you” because, when a person levels that word at somebody else, that person is not some noble, altruistic knight. They say “you” because they really are only thinking about “me.” It isn’t about their team or their kids, it is about them.

Depending on the level and the age, the girls are not in control of the game. The coach should be controlling the team’s game. If he/she hasn’t said one word about hustle or time to the team throughout the game, the there shouldn’t be one word said about it to anybody else in the closing moments.
When I said “you”, I was referring to the coach. As has been said, it is not illegal to use the clock to your advantage. And the team earned the right by getting ahead early.
But as a coach, I would not ask a girl to untie her cleats in the dugout so she had to tie them at the plate and use up time.

You need to hit for 5 minutes to close out the game? Go hit. Take tough at bats.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I hope that there were not any college coaches at that game. Can't imagine a college coach would care for a player yelling profanity at an umpire. There have been a ton of coaches at our last two tournaments.

I doubt there was a college coach hanging around this game. This was during a 14u B tournament. Admittedly though, I wouldn't know what a local area college coach looks like.

I will say I don't believe the f-bomb was directed "at" the umpire as so much it was used to aid in emphasizing her thoughts about the strike zone.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We start every game that way. Always hustle. Players have runners on base gloves ready to go, we are always hustle.

Same with DD's team. Their head coach is always pushing them to hustle in and hustle out. Even during their team practices he has them hustling. I can't remember his exact words, but doing so buys them another x-amount of potential playable minutes each game. And there has been a few games where they needed that.

My point was, if they used their "crunch time" focus and playing style (aggressive, clinical, quick)....they'd beat more teams in the front half of the game instead of giving their coaches and parents anxiety attacks winning in the last few minutes of a game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles