Trying out couple of pitching coaches...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
The knee-drill is a holdover from old-timers that teach, or taught, stepping style as opposed to leaping. If you pitch in a step style, the drill actually makes sense.

-W

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If you notice the girl's body is somewhat square to the plate. The drill teaches the body to be in a different position than it would be during an actual pitch. Secondly, its counter productive to the rythm that is necessary to get the most velocity out of a pitch. Step or leap, it is not helpful. The goal according to Ernie is the "strengthen the arm", I don't believe it does that at all, no more so than pitching regularly and working on mechanics.

Jan 20, 2012
Ernie Parker: One Of The Very Best FastPitch Pitching Coaches In The World

If I could pick the one fastpitch pitching coach to train with it would have to be Ernie Parker. His love of the game, his accomplishments, his pitching training history and his calm fun nature would be my dream. Here are some of his fastpitch pitching accomplishments.

Ernie Parker has been coaching and giving fastpitch pitching lessons for about 30 years. He coached and worked with one team from California where he won 9 ASA National Championships at all levels. During that time, he also taught pitchers from other travel teams who also won national championships. He has also worked with All-Americans at many top universities including UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Florida State, Cal State Long Beach, Harvard, University of Tennessee, Cal State Fullerton, and many others.
Mr. Parker has instructed pitchers in places such as Peru, Canada, Taipai China, Mainland China (twice), Spain (three times), Holland (four times), Hawaii (8 times), Alaska (4 times), and Italy.

Ernie Parker Fastpitch Pitching Student Accomplishments

• High School All-Americans
• ASA National Champions at All Levels
• College All-Americans
• College World Series Champions
• Players in the Women's Professional Leagues
• Women's ASA Champions
• Women's World Champions
• Olympic Gold Medalists (3 times) ( Note: Lisa Fernandez pitched the championship game for all 3 gold medals) As of June 2010, Ernie Parker has pitchers that he teaches at the following universities:
• UCLA (College World Series Champions for 2010)
• Arizona State
• Notre Dame
• Michigan (2)
• Michigan State
• Tennessee (1 currently and verbals for 2010 and 2011)
• Illinois
• Etc.

I wish there were more choices when it comes to fastpitch pitching coaches as many have noted here but the reality is that there are NOT that many good coaches out there. The cost that some of these coaches charge is another thing that adds up really quick. So until I become acquainted with a good pitch coach with reasonable rates I will stick to watching videos and practicing on my own.

Jun 13, 2009
There's no way to reply to this last post without it sounding like a bash on Mr Parker. So I'll just leave it alone and let this person live in his own little world. From what I understand, Mr Parker is a very nice man. No question about it. But the poster is very "skewed" with all the accolades he is bestowing on Mr. Parker.

CG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie