Trying out couple of pitching coaches...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
Well we have a practice with too different pitching coaches next week... going to see which one we agree with more... since everyone seems to teach different and i think we need more help than i can fix... we will see. any suggestions on what to look for. both coaches are well known seem to be very good.

Apr 25, 2010
Look at how he interacts with your dd. If he spends more time talking to you or someone else in the room than he does your dd, he's not for you. More than 1 student at a lesson, probably not for you. Do they advocate the mechanics you want your child to have? If not, not for you. Personally, I like for them to be able to do what they are teaching my dd to do. If she seems not to like them, definitely run away. If they are unwilling/unable to explain "why" they have your dd doing it a particular way, or particular drills, again, run away.

And remember, price should never be the motivating factor in something like this.

Good luck!

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
All things being equal, I prefer a women to be the instructor for my DD. IMO, we need more women role models, coaches, and instructors in the game of girl's fast pitch. Their experience pitching in actual games and the way they can relate to young girls is an important aspect of coaching/instructing that is often overlooked.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The first question, "Why does she/he think he knows how to pitch?" What makes her an expert? Did she pitch? At what level did she pitch? What success did she have? Has she taught D1 level pitchers? How many D1 pitchers? You are going to find that there are bunch of people out there who think they can teach pitching, but have absolutely no credentials.

The second question is, "Can she/he teach?" Just because someone knows something doesn't mean that know how to communicate that information. Can the person give direction?

Finally, there is a reason for everything in pitching. If you know how piston engines operate, then you can understand the how and why of pitching. It isn't that complicated.

Apr 13, 2010
Having just recently hired a pitching coach for my DD I an say that I 100% agree with what sluggers has suggested. One thing however is there are little things that certain coaches will consider important that others will not. My DD attending her free clinic at the gym this Sunday and they had another coach there working. She immediately wanted to start changing things about my DD's motion that the coach we had hired had put in. After researching a little and talking to our real coach the things she was teaching at the free clinic while common were wrong for my daughter and probably wrong for everyone else as well. But, that was probably how she was taught and pitched and maybe for her body type it worked. Even though the piston engine is the same all human bodies are different in some way. Try to find a coach that can find the right way for your daughter and not just teach her the right way. If that makes sense.

That all goes back to sluggers first question listed. It really is the most important.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Your kid should leave every session KNOWING she has learned SOMETHING and will be a better pitcher because of it. That is the driving force that will keep her coming back and looking forward to the next session.

They come there to learn to be a better pitcher, they must leave feeling that they are. If they leave and they do not have that feeliing of accomplishment, they will quickly lose comfidence in the instructor AND their own ability.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Is it evil if you are (moderately knowledgebale, male, and not a former D1 or mens fastpitch pitcher) to help players learn to pitch? Or does helping a player progress to being able to throw with accuracy, reasonable speed, and learn a couple pitches and feel good about themselves, enjoy the game, and say - horror of horrors - play HS ball as a contributing member of team and win a fair numbr of games?

Is it better to have no instruction? The ideal instructor is probably female, a former 4 time WCWS champion, four year NCAA all-american, pro-fastpitch vet who is a brillant teacher. Who preferably is otherwise unemployed, has an indoor training facility and can teach all of maybe 2 dozen players weekly on an individual basis. Now for the rest of the 3000 aspiring pitchers out there?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Is it evil if you are (moderately knowledgebale, male, and not a former D1 or mens fastpitch pitcher) to help players learn to pitch? Or does helping a player progress to being able to throw with accuracy, reasonable speed, and learn a couple pitches and feel good about themselves, enjoy the game, and say - horror of horrors - play HS ball as a contributing member of team and win a fair numbr of games?

It is if you represent yourself as anything other than what you are. And its downright criminal if you accept money for those services under false pretenses.

Do the same thing with full disclosure and you should be commended and/or paid.

Apr 13, 2010
I notice the girls listen better when another player (maybe a year or two older) shows them something, over all of us instructors put together! Their ears really perk up if you say something positive about another girl (that maybe they don't do as well) and let her show them.

That's because by 12, the pitchers are already tired of being picked apart by each new instructor. All of us coaches have to remember the part about listening and observing before opening one's mouth.

Great comment. This is really what I was getting at above. Here my daughter is working with someone else, we tell the clinic coach she is working with someone else and we want the free gym time and she decides to break apart and criticize. Really disappointing.

It is if you represent yourself as anything other than what you are. And its downright criminal if you accept money for those services under false pretenses.

Do the same thing with full disclosure and you should be commended and/or paid.

Correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan