Try lefty or stay righty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

imallin

Banned
Sep 8, 2011
DD is first year 14u playing A level. Righty, good contact hitter, rarely strikes out, cracks one once is awhile, good speed. Coach has suggested trying to go lefty because of her speed, starting with bunting and then learning to slap. I'm concerned that she is still inconsistent as a righty (I suppose they all are) and any time I put towards lefty will take away from building righty consistency. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Jan 25, 2011
Good contact hitter?Now this only my take on that.I'am not looking for my dd to be just a contact hitter,she up there to hit the ball.I don't care if it is a 0-2 count,she not there to make just contact.I know there is alot of coaches that wouldn't agree with me on that,but that is way she has a BC that I pay.She is not going to change her swing,just to make contact.I would keeper on the right side and let her learn how to hit the ball hard everytimefirst, and then once she does that,then let her try lefty.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Once I turn a girl lefty, she doesn't hit righty. It isn't like baseball with many switch hitters. I currently have a 16 yo hitting student, that has only played 2 years of rec. But, she is an athlete and is working twice a week with me on the complete game. She is learning RF and slapping. She is small and quick. She made an 18U ASA team because of her ability to try, her good attitude and her foot speed. The coach told her to learn to slap, so that is what we are working on. She home schools, due to her rodeo schedule and to play softball.

Feb 16, 2009
Would definintely move her to the left as a 14U. Know a # of dd's friends who moved over at 13/14 to the left because of their speed. Know of one player who moved over as a soph in HS and now has a Big 10 commitment. You can work on a player's swing, but you cannot teach speed - college coaches know that.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Agree with Amy, but we teach them to hit before we teach them to slap. The early the better that you decide to move to the left side. When you talk speed, it must be 3.0 and below to be a good slapper.

Sep 8, 2011
DO IT! IMHO, all offensive players by 14U should have left-side hitting in their arsenal. BUT have to disagree with SBFamily - don't switch her and expect her to be a swing-away hitter, especially at first. Remember this is fastpitch softball, not baseball, and it's all about the short game. The play we're looking for from a left-side hitter is a slap or bunt just outside of shifting fielders' reach to capitalize on her speed and get her on safely base. It's placement/precision hitting, not power hitting. Since it is easier for hitters to learn bunt and slap, start there so the hitter gets used to seeing the ball and has comfort with grip, positioning, movement from opposite side. Then incorporate swing mechanics and hitting. An effective left side slapper/bunter/hitter is a very high-impact and desireable player for an offense.

Jul 26, 2010
No such thing as switch hitters in softball, move her left and keep her there. Don't give her the security blanket that she can go back to right if things go south. She needs to make the commitment if she does it, period.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
Colleges will not take players under 5'5" in height unless they can slap/hit away well left handed. reality.
really,if that is true then college coaches are the biggest morons in the world,I'am a Boston Redsox fan look at Dustin Pedroia their 2nd basemen,he is like 5'6" and goes deep often and hits the ball harder then most players in the MLB.If what you say is the true,then college softball has to learn alot.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
coachdom, I'm talking softball. That is how we teach all our slappers. If that is all she can do, then the defense will adjust and she won't get on no matter how fast she is. You will see 9 players playing on the dirt against her. It took my dd 11 months to adjust at 12 and yes that first year she struggled, but after 2 years she was hitting the fence as a lefty. Howard Carrier-hitter and Dave Paetkau both helped convert her. Both gave the same advice, teach her to hit first. Think about it, bases loaded 2 outs , what are you going to have your player that can only bunt and slap do?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Colleges will not take players under 5'5" in height unless they can slap/hit away well left handed. reality.

Wrong. . .Do not make blank statements like that. . .for someone who sure plays the "woman card" you just stabbed a number of them in the back. . .where does this come from? What level of college ball are you talking about?

UCLA had three players under 5'5" that bat right handed. . .I believe Arizona has one or two. . .Georgia had one or two.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog