Trick Play to end Florida 7a State Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Think that's peculiar that people are looking at the score of the game and considering the score would be a reason you wouldn't want to try and get another out.
Always trying to get outs is a good thing regardless of the score the goal is to win. The only thing embarrassing about it is somebody had lost track of the ball or had a learning moment which shouldn't be a big deal.

The defense executed the play and it worked.
There is an achievement in their execution of the play. The coach may have called the play but the players themselves had the achievement.

Stands as an example that Age bracket has the understanding of how to do something like that and apply it.

It is a learning moment for the players who were unaware of such a play.

it is an achievement!

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Yes, deception is part of the game. But that's not the issue. Scoring is part of the game, but when scoring embarrasses another team unnecessarily, then scoring becomes unsportsmanlike, as in leading 30-0 and still trying to score as many runs as possible.

In this case, the team calling the trick play was up 8-2 with 2 outs in the final inning. Did the team unnecessarily embarrass an opposing player or team?

I'm not saying it did or didn't.

Just saying that's the question.
That wasn’t the intention to embarrass the other team. Lake Brantley played a good game. In 7th inning outcome was pretty much decided. Girls got the opportunity to run a play that was fun and exciting for them and a great memory to end States.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Even if a team is up 30-0 and has put the brakes on regarding scoring, they still need to get outs. It is not embarrassing (IMO) to be put out for doing something that you shouldn't have been doing. (Being inattentive, losing track of the ball, thinking about where you are going for dinner since this game is [apparently, since we are comparing it to a 30-0 ball game] over.)

This was a State tourney final, neither of these two teams were slouches or out-matched. I am pretty sure both teams were capable of putting up 6 runs in even a third of an inning against a different opponent. The winning squad needed to get the last out, the losing team presented them with an opportunity to do so.

I wonder what the folks here who are saying it was embarrassing would have the defense do-- Let sharp hit grounders get through the infield, since they were placed so well? Let Texas leaguers fall? Only catch the fly ball that was hit directly at them? Getting an out, no matter how you get it, is WAY different than doing things that add runs to the board in a whitewashing.

Oct 14, 2019
Even if a team is up 30-0 and has put the brakes on regarding scoring, they still need to get outs. It is not embarrassing (IMO) to be put out for doing something that you shouldn't have been doing. (Being inattentive, losing track of the ball, thinking about where you are going for dinner since this game is [apparently, since we are comparing it to a 30-0 ball game] over.)

This was a State tourney final, neither of these two teams were slouches or out-matched. I am pretty sure both teams were capable of putting up 6 runs in even a third of an inning against a different opponent. The winning squad needed to get the last out, the losing team presented them with an opportunity to do so.

I wonder what the folks here who are saying it was embarrassing would have the defense do-- Let sharp hit grounders get through the infield, since they were placed so well? Let Texas leaguers fall? Only catch the fly ball that was hit directly at them? Getting an out, no matter how you get it, is WAY different than doing things that add runs to the board in a whitewashing.
who said don’t get an out? the straw man?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
who said don’t get an out? the straw man?
Nope, not the strawman. People are equating the play to running up the score in a 30-0 blowout. I agree, if a game is out of hand, you run station to station, don't steal, don't stretch base hits into doubles. Show some class and not embarrass the other team, who may be out-matched or be out of pitching, etc.

I was making the point that there is a difference between adding unnecessary runs and getting required outs.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Nope, not the strawman. People are equating the play to running up the score in a 30-0 blowout. I agree, if a game is out of hand, you run station to station, don't steal, don't stretch base hits into doubles. Show some class and not embarrass the other team, who may be out-matched or be out of pitching, etc.

I was making the point that there is a difference between adding unnecessary runs and getting required outs.

I brought up the 30-0 blowout scenario, but I did not equate it with this particular play. What I equated was scoring runs and deception, saying that both are parts of the game. I then argued that just because something is part of the game does not mean that it can't be used in unsportsmanlike ways.

Good point that there's a difference between unnecessary runs and required outs. However, the key word is unnecessary, not required, IMO. It's required that you get enough outs, and it's required that you score enough runs. But the question is whether it was necessary to get this particular out (8-2 lead, 1 out remaining) in a way that showed up the opponent.

You say that the game was still contested, that the opponent could've scored 6 runs with 2 outs, but the OP disagrees, saying ''the outcome was pretty much decided'' and the coach's motivation was ''to run a play that was fun and exciting for them and a great memory.''

All that said, even if I think this was beyond a line that I'd cross, I'm not saying the coach is a monster, or that the players and parents shouldn't be overjoyed with the accomplishment of a state title. I just like debating issues of sportsmanship and ethics. So assuming the OP is a parent of a player on this team, I sincerely congratulate him and the players. A state titles is forever. Go celebrate it!

Last edited:

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
By jumping, pertending to miss a non thrown ball, similar to applying a fake tag without the ball, Obstruction, runner gets the next base?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez