Trick play question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD's 12U TB team used to do something similar with runners at 2B and 3B, including the coach yelling "back" to the runner stealing from 2B. It worked sometimes. Better teams would just hold the ball.
Yes. Even if they don't recognize it as a trick play, better teams understand the situation (runner on third who will run on the throw) and will just hold the ball and get it back to the pitcher. The play essentially depends on confusion and/or over-agressiveness by the catcher.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD's 12U TB team used to do something similar with runners at 2B and 3B, including the coach yelling "back" to the runner stealing from 2B. It worked sometimes. Better teams would just hold the ball.
Hopefully none of the 12U teams my DD's team will face are reading this because I cannot see "holding the ball" as the outcome..no cheating @OsDad :LOL:

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
So, am I to interpret that language as trick plays are unsportsmanlike?
Trick plays are not unsportsmanlike. Heaven forbid, if that were the case, we'd have to eject players just because:
1. They bluffed a base steal
2. They showed bunt and then hit away
3. They looked up pretending the ball was hit in the air
4. They threw the ball directly back to the pitcher instead of second base on a base-steal with a runner at third
5. And on and on...

No, trick plays have been around for as long as the game has been played. If they were unsporting, they would specifically be outlawed. Do NOT assume that "deceitful tactics" are the same as trick plays. Look at the other things listed in the rule that was quoted: profanity, intimidation, baiting, and taunting. They all imply something extremely egregious. So in their minds, "deceitful tactics" are those that are well outside the norms of competition.

For example, the catcher fakes a throw to third base, and then someone from the third-base dugout throws a softball down the line. Or a coach in the defensive dugout yells, "BACK! BACK!" to fool a runner into returning to a base. Or a runner who just scored then runs to first and second base to draw a throw. Those are plays way outside the bounds of fair play.

The play being discussed is one where the base coaches should tell the runners to stay put and not fall for it.

May 10, 2019
The call they made was a judgment call and I can see how running a play which could possibly incur injury (e.g. having a girl slide back to a bag when no actual play was to be made) could possibly be judged as "unsportsmanlike". Not saying I agree just trying to provide a possible explanation.

(e.g. having a girl slide back to a bag when no actual play was to be made). Just a scenerio to think about. Runner on 3rd and the catcher pops up and fakes a throw to third and the runner dives back and gets hurt. That is part of the game. There was no actual play, the defensive team should not be penalized by that. The particular play might not have produced and out, but it keeps the runner a step or two closer for an out at home. Just thinking out loud.

Jun 28, 2016
NJ
One coach in our area tells his girls to always run to 1st on a dropped 3rd strike, even if 1st base is occupied (with less than two outs), or even if the ball isn't really dropped. He knows the rule, he's just trying to create chaos. It's cheap, it's annoying, but it's also helpful as I think by now every catcher in our league knows the rule by heart!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K