Trick play question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
In bracket play this past weekend the opposing team attempted to pull a trick play off. You could tell they have practiced this well enough that all players knew their role. The play they tried was the overthrow back from the catcher where all players take off running after the ball while the pitcher remained in control. The second basemen remained close to the bag and did apply what looked like a tag without the ball, while the pitcher ran at our player, but it happened fast enough the pitcher may have thrown it to the second basemen and I missed it watching our girl. To give them credit our player almost bit on the play had i not been watching the entire thing unfold and yell BACK.... After the play the field ump conferred with the home plate ump and our girl was awarded 3rd base based off "sporting behavior rules" and we were told that if their coach had participated in the play by yelling like the players did then he would have been ejected.

So after reading these rules I am not sure this was the correct call. The outcome of the game would not have changed either way and I don't believe our player scored after this play. So aside from the "its one of those we have to see" replies what is the right ruling for that particular trick play? allowed?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
It's not the play you describe--which sounds like the one of the teams win the Division III college world series this year--but our travel team has run a trick play for years on the travel ball circuit that works probably 75% of the time. Situation is bases loaded and the runner on first "absent mindedly" tries to steal second "forgetting" that second base is occupied. The objective is to draw a throw from the catcher to first to score the run from third (or to get the player at first in a run down to score the run from third). This trick play involves "acting" on the part of the third base coach as well as the players and, at times, even the parents in the stands, who by now also recognize what is going on. In four years of watching this play be run, I've never seen it called as against the sporting rules, so to speak, and never seen another coach challenge it on those grounds. I don't know exactly what happened in your game, but, to me, it definitely doesn't sound like the right call by the umpire. Marriard or the The Man in Blue should be able to provide a more definitive answer.

Jun 8, 2016
It's not the play you describe--which sounds like the one of the teams win the Division III college world series this year--but our travel team has run a trick play for years on the travel ball circuit that works probably 75% of the time. Situation is bases loaded and the runner on first "absent mindedly" tries to steal second "forgetting" that second base is occupied. The objective is to draw a throw from the catcher to first to score the run from third (or to get the player at first in a run down to score the run from third). This trick play involves "acting" on the part of the third base coach as well as the players and, at times, even the parents in the stands, who by now also recognize what is going on. In four years of watching this play be run, I've never seen it called as against the sporting rules, so to speak, and never seen another coach challenge it on those grounds. I don't know exactly what happened in your game, but, to me, it definitely doesn't sound like the right call by the umpire. Marriard or the The Man in Blue should be able to provide a more definitive answer.
My guess is the fake tag may have been the issue but like I said I am just guessing.

Jun 22, 2008
Some umpires that are making up rules and need to go back for more training.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2016

its the exact same play as the div iii play

Jun 22, 2008
A fake tag is obstruction, but it is not an automatic base award.

Jun 12, 2015

There's a team where I live that tries this just about every game they play. Also pretending like they think there are 3 outs when there are only 2, having almost everyone leave the field in hopes the runner on base will step off, also thinking there are 3 outs. Then the ones who lingered on the field tag her out. I think it's a little bit pathetic but I guess if that's what they have to do... I don't think it's against any rules. Just kind of bush league IMO.

Jun 8, 2016
A fake tag is obstruction, but it is not an automatic base award.

The call they made was a judgment call and I can see how running a play which could possibly incur injury (e.g. having a girl slide back to a bag when no actual play was to be made) could possibly be judged as "unsportsmanlike". Not saying I agree just trying to provide a possible explanation.

Jun 22, 2008
Judgement must still fall within the rules of the game. There is nothing illegal about the play they pulled except the fake tag if there was one and it is not an automatic base advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12