Travel vs. School vs. Private Coaching Conflicts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
the sanest way to make it thru the season is to adjust now that most of what happens you will not agree with, accept it now. get good lawn chair, sit out away from field (solo), and cheer for entire team. Resign yourself to the fact that neither DD or you parents have any control or input in the way HS coach does anything. from the lack of rotating players, players in 'wrong' positions, defensive alignments, batting philosopy, selective enforcement of rules, etc, etc,

Silently pray for the return of travel ball as soon as possible.

Best of luck.
Or take your daughter off of the team. You can practice them as you want and not let that hideous ignorant HS coach ruin your child.

Apr 8, 2019
I love this topic because it is always filled with drama. I know a guy who is talking with the athletic director of his school district to have the coach replaced. The season starts Monday.

He's got a point, the coach has almost zero softball experience. He's been flying his DD around the country to expensive college camps and would rather not have some noob coach her for 3 months.

But what the hell, my thought is either let the girls have fun and play some crappy softball or just let her take a break for a few months. HS softball is relatively unimportant for any recruiting purposes.

May 17, 2012
I love this topic because it is always filled with drama. I know a guy who is talking with the athletic director of his school district to have the coach replaced. The season starts Monday.

He's got a point, the coach has almost zero softball experience. He's been flying his DD around the country to expensive college camps and would rather not have some noob coach her for 3 months.

But what the hell, my thought is either let the girls have fun and play some crappy softball or just let her take a break for a few months. HS softball is relatively unimportant for any recruiting purposes.

Hopefully the AD tells that parent to kick rocks.

Apr 1, 2017
Haha. Not a challenge. Admittedly just get a little defensive when high school softball is casted like it is all bad or bad everywhere.
I really think most of that comes from a lack of control.

Your daughter joins XYZ travel team, and even if it's a complete disaster, it's at most, one season and you can move on to another team.

In high school, if it's a bad "fit", you are looking at 4 years of dealing with it. It's not always bad coaching or teammates either. Could be as simple as depth chart issues. Player happens to be in a class with a few decent pitchers, could be 4 years without many innings. In travel, a decent #2 or 3 pitcher on one team can always find another team to be their #1 or 2.

Jun 20, 2015

Your daughter joins XYZ travel team, and even if it's a complete disaster, it's at most, one season and you can move on to another team.

In high school, if it's a bad "fit", you are looking at 4 years of dealing with it. It's not always bad coaching or teammates either. Could be as simple as depth chart issues. Player happens to be in a class with a few decent pitchers, could be 4 years without many innings. In travel, a decent #2 or 3 pitcher on one team can always find another team to be their #1 or 2.
you are right. zero control over a plethora of factors and that's why parents have issues. you throw in a potential variety of not field related issues (politics), favoritism, 'good ol' boy network', ad nauseum.

Not saying all HS programs or coaches are bad. but i have witnessed more than just a couple over the years.

Oct 26, 2019

So it’s like real life? Haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi