Travel uniform for high school tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should you wear your travel uniform to high school tryouts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
While not the difinitive outfit, a HS shirt even if not softball shows school spirit.
Let your tryout performance speak for your abilities not your clothes.

You never know if some coach had a bad experience against a TB team whose shirt you have on.

Oct 10, 2018
You never know if a coach or assistant had a bad experience with your org (or a player on it) which might color his/her opinion of you so best not to advertise it - if you are good, you'll be good, no need to show them who you play for.

I've advised DD to let her skills do the talking and wear her school shirt the first day (school spirit), something colorful the next 2 (why does everyone wear black/dark blue?). I have her take off the panel on her backpack with team logo and number. Just her batting helmet which does not have the team logo, just its colors and lucky #7 on it.

Aug 25, 2019
MY DD wears tournament shirts to tryout/practices, she's got so many of them, gotta get some use out of them. I wouldn't recommend wearing your travel uniform, but I think it's good to wear something to let the coach now you play travel. Yes, the coach will see your skillset at tryouts, but if the coach knows you play travel, they will know you (should) have a way better understanding of the game than someone who doesn't play travel. I figured that since the last school game my DD played in May of 2019, she's played about 150 travel games, and that's, well lets do the math, ummm, 150 more games than a teammate who didn't play travel.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No
1. Devides/seperates the players who are actually there trying out for the same team.
2. Logo's/names can also be used at other local schools.
Can be considerd hazing.
3. The only time to step on the field wearing another teams jersey/name is when you are planning to play and defeat the other team!

Aug 10, 2020
When you've got 60 girls trying out for a team and they don't hand out numbers, it's better to have a shirt with your last name on it. So if your team shirt has your name on it, wear it.

Oct 4, 2018
Tryouts are a several days, right?

If they don't notice my DD's orange/navy bag and helmet, they're blind. And around these parts, people know what those colors mean. I'd probably ask her to wear a high school shirt of some kind, and she has several. But if she insists on wearing one of her travel practice jerseys, I don't really care. Rather her be happy and confident in tryouts than anything.

Jun 30, 2020
Depends on the school and the coach. Freshman year, every girl showed up in travel ball unis. First thing they were told is they should only wear school spirit wear.

I think the goal was to foster team unity.

Mar 16, 2019
At our middle and high school, the coaches will send you home if you have a travel jersey on. Some parents complained a few years ago that a coach was biased toward travel players and travel representation was squashed. :rolleyes: You can imagine which type of parent complained; travel, rec ball. Luckily,the coaches know most of the travel players and they all still wear their batting helmets, so it really doesn't matter. The concerning thing is that we are seeing less and less girls come for tryouts. Our middle school used to cut 40-50 girls during tryouts to fill a 19 girls roster. Last year we only had 17 tryout. I know 2020 was crazy, so hopefully, we'll get back to the norm.

May 29, 2019
As a freshman trying out for the first time, I don't see an issue wearing a t-shirt/practice jersey from your travel team. Wearing a full-blown game uniform would be a little over the top though. If the HS coach is the least bit connected with the local softball scene, they will already know all about the kid anyway if they are good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles