Travel Ball vs. HS Sports vs. other club sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The end result of what many of you are proposing is that a player will have to pick between HS and TB sports. As a varsity HS Coach, I can tell you that if a player missed games due to TB then they made a choice. I have to make a choice. HS coaches have to make their position clear in their parent meetings. What is at state are conference championships along with regional (Districts to some) and Sectional concerns at seed meetings. Some schools, such as the one I coach at, have options due to numbers. Some do not.

WRT Prom or Homecoming, our school has a policy on those two dates. We do not play varsity contests on those dates. In my first year as the HC at my HS, we played a DH against the top-ranked team in the state and the program I came from as an AC. We went extra innings and won. However, that game took so long that those upperclassmen who had spent all of that money on Prom were in a bad spot. I let all of them go and played the second game of the DH with my JV. It ended in five innings and I was OK with that.

My 2 cents.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The Long Island championship was played between two teams, one if which had their prom scheduled the day of the game. The sanctioning body moved the game to 3:00 PM from the original 5:00 PM start time to accommodate the school having their prom. It didn't work. The game went 12 innings, and it didn't end until 7:15 PM with the prom team coming out on the long end.

How those seniors made it to the prom after a 12 innings game in 85° heat is beyond me.

Jul 11, 2023
I tell my girls that whether it's sports, or eventually their career, be good enough to have options. Your personal life suddenly isn't such a burden to the coach or boss. And if is, another team is happy to have you.

Don't be bullied, but you best be ready to perform.

Jun 8, 2016
The end result of what many of you are proposing is that a player will have to pick between HS and TB sports. As a varsity HS Coach, I can tell you that if a player missed games due to TB then they made a choice. I have to make a choice.
You didn't actually propose what you actually do. In terms of your championship aspirations(which you claim is the driving force), not letting a kid play at all (eg they are off the team) if they miss HS game for a TB game is a lot different than benching them the next game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You didn't actually propose what you actually do. In terms of your championship aspirations(which you claim is the driving force), not letting a kid play at all (eg they are off the team) if they miss HS game for a TB game is a lot different than benching them the next game.
I have my handout that I issued to parents on another computer. If I find time, I might get it out and post it. I expect players in my program to be dedicated to that program when we are in season. I am fortunate that in the sports I coached the next player up will be given an opportunity to start and will have to lose that position. How many games is that? I really don't know because I didn't have to bother with this. My dd played other sports in HS. She knew that HS came first and no questions about that. She knew that she had better be pretty good if she wanted to keep her TB position. Fortunately for us, her TB team understood.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
💥👍👍👍💥

Which is regardless of ANY of the standards/ rules ANY coaches try to implement.

YET, everybody gets gets to make their own decision out of the choices. That's what you get to have control of... the decision of own choice. That said, the repercussion could be part of your own choice.
That is right. I support their choice. I will make my choice and get another player ready to fill a vacant spot. I have been consistent on this site in saying that if you don't like what a HS coach does, take your dd off of the team. It this matter, that will alleviate any conflicts.

Jan 22, 2011
We need more information about the level of the team and the priorities. Good communication and setting expectations early are key. In the spring of 2021, the High School coach didn't set expectations that there might be post-season playoffs and missed that there had been a decision there would be until two weeks before playoffs started. Play-offs didn't start until after graduation that year and two players had already made vacation plans. Luckily, they changed them, so we had enough to play. Due to injuries, they only had 10 players that Covid spring.

If the team wants to place players on college teams, D1 coaches can't watch non-scholastic games until Oct 14th. I'm not sure about the rules for other divisions. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/co...023-24/2023-24D1Rec_WSBRecruitingCalendar.pdf

I know a player who is good enough to play D1 mid-major will attend a college softball camp this weekend. I assume that is an acceptable excuse to miss a travel practice. When my daughter was in High School, she told her travel coaches she might miss one or two tournaments on Saturday due to High School volleyball tournaments. The coach said she would get less playing time on Sunday.

My daughter decided two years to not go to Sunday spring travel practices because she was slightly banged up and didn't want to aggravate things at a travel practice during the High School season. She barely played the first tournament and didn't get her "normal" playing time until the 3rd tournament. She was fine with that.

Jan 20, 2023
We’re wondering how all this will work when my daughter does high school next year. She’s been competing in a livestock contest at the state fair for 6 years and is currently state champion. It’s always been at a great time between summer and fall ball - and she has a ton of friends who do it too. But it’s during high-school season- fall here. We’re curious if she can go back and defend her state championship or if the coach will require her to be at practice or game or what penalties will be.

Apr 8, 2019
If a girl aspires to play softball in college, missing a softball tournament for a volleyball tournament or any other sporting event is inexcusable. My daughter's former coach had a team with a bunch of girls who also played volleyball, and scheduling was a nightmare because they always had conflicts. Eventually, it came back to bite him when they all chose volleyball over softball and quit his team, leaving his daughter with no team.

Proms, family weddings, homecoming, and other events of that ilk are different stories.
if it's fall ball i disagree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06