Travel Ball vs. HS Sports vs. other club sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
Which is your choice, play who you want to play. Thing i hear most from coaches over the years is they want athletes. Not a lot of "fair" in the world so doesn't really factor into the equation for me.

Should play them for their output during games. Not time spent at practice.

edit: and to clarify, i mean if they are playing another sport and out being physical. Not sitting at home because they didn't feel like coming to practice. Then i'd sit them as well.
This is why I asked the question. Everyone sort of builds a narrative around what they are comfortable with, rather than what would actually be better for the players or the team.

This coach is FAR from a bitter old-school battle axe. She is the most successful, most connected softball player I have ever met. She played professionally. She played for her country. Her best friends are gold medalists and household names in the softball community. She is adored by her players and parents, and a positive role model to them. Her teams are actually deep enough that the difference between number 1 and number 15 is usually pretty small.

So when she says you need to make sacrifices to reach the highest level, she says it because she knows from a personal level. She also knows that the second string catcher who works her rear off may not be better than the first string at 14U, but at 16U or 18U that kid will be running circles around the number one. And she knows that because she has witnessed it happen time and time again.

And also, from my personal narrative, I think proms are kinda stupid or at least not that big of a deal. Certainly not important enough to where it takes a weekend for hair, nails, dress then pre-party, post-party then Sunday brunch.

Jul 11, 2023
I'm amazed people don't get hurt patting themselves on the back more as a means of justifying whatever they want.

So yeah, I'm in camp as long as it is agreed upon upfront, whatever you want to do is fine.

Jun 8, 2016
She also knows that the second string catcher who works her rear off may not be better than the first string at 14U, but at 16U or 18U that kid will be running circles around the number one. And she knows that because she has witnessed it happen time and time again.
Maybe the kid who misses a practice once a month is also hitting on her own 4-5 times a week. Most coaches put too much importance on their own sacred practices..If my kid ends up being any good 90% of that will be due to what she has done on her own time and her athletic ability..

Apr 8, 2019
Maybe the kid who misses a practice once a month is also hitting on her own 4-5 times a week. Most coaches put too much importance on their own sacred practices..If my kid ends up being any good 90% of that will be due to what she has done on her own time and her athletic ability..
Hitting most days is basically the expectation anyway. I agree, not all practice is done in front of the coach, but there are considerations about what it is to be a good teammate. This team treated practices in part as a way to determine who was going to get to start etc. So if the girl misses practice, she loses out to the girl who is there proving herself.

As someone earlier said, whatever was agreed upon is what should happen. I'm just wondering what is the "right" amount of effort a girl needs to put in. Maybe that is different for everyone.

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting most days is basically the expectation anyway. I agree, not all practice is done in front of the coach, but there are considerations about what it is to be a good teammate. This team treated practices in part as a way to determine who was going to get to start etc. So if the girl misses practice, she loses out to the girl who is there proving herself.

As someone earlier said, whatever was agreed upon is what should happen. I'm just wondering what is the "right" amount of effort a girl needs to put in. Maybe that is different for everyone.
My kid enjoys practicing with her teammates. I can probably count on two hands the number of TB practices she has missed in 6 years of playing. I just don’t buy the “surpassing at 16U” argument because a kid is missing a team practice once in a while. If the kid is missing every other one then it isn’t that important to her and she probably isn’t putting in the work outside of practice either.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think you need to set the parameters here. Are we talking about a local rec ball team, or a high-end National team? If it is the former, then practices should be attended as often as possible. Often times, that's all the extra work a girl gets. If it's a National team, many times the girls don't love locally, so you can't punish them for missing practices.

As someone else mentioned, what about camps or visits? Are those justified? I would think they'd have to be.

Proms are a big deal. It is often the last hurrah you have with friends after 13 years of school.

Jun 8, 2016
I think you need to set the parameters here. Are we talking about a local rec ball team, or a high-end National team? If it is the former, then practices should be attended as often as possible. Often times, that's all the extra work a girl gets. If it's a National team, many times the girls don't love locally, so you can't punish them for missing practices.

As someone else mentioned, what about camps or visits? Are those justified? I would think they'd have to be.

Proms are a big deal. It is often the last hurrah you have with friends after 13 years of school.
DD’s team has a pitcher who lives a few hours away. She will make weekend practices but understandably isn’t expected to go to weekday practices.

Jun 8, 2016
My wife missed prom for a track meet. I asked her if I was going to take her would she have gone..she just looked at me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06