Travel Ball Costs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2012
Can you guys tell me what you pay for your Travel Ball team? Coaching Fees? Required equipment? etc.

I have only checked into one team, and it was around $500 for the season which included league fees, uniforms, bat bag, helmet, etc. There was no charge for coaching fees. Is it fairly common for teams to require that everyone have matching bat bags, helmet, etc? My daughter already has all of the equipment she needs so it was kind of a turnoff to be expected to buy all of these extra items, but maybe this is a common practice. This was for a 10U team.
Just trying to figure out what to expect in the future.
Thanks

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
$500 is a pretty common fee. Yes, most teams have matching bags, helmets, shoes, etc. ( good travel ball teams anyway )

$500 would include all the equipment stated, tournament entry fees for a season, maybe some indoor workouts at a facility. At an average of $250+ entry fees, it gets eaten up pretty fast.

We do fundraisers to help with team fees and earning money for one or two national events. Those funds are evenly split between players for help on travel expenses for larger/further away tourneys. We also have a few local business sponsors that chip in.

Organizational teams, with multiple age groups, may have smaller fees due to previous years of fundraising and larger multiple sponsors. But they are rare.

Jul 26, 2010
Most teams don't require all the swag for fall. It is normally required in the Spring though.

Sounds like a B level team from a recreation org, they usually charge about what it costs to run things at a bare bone level, since they're non profits. A level programs charge more mostly because they can, besides the fact that they have to rent fields, pay coaches (at least offset travel/hotel fees), rent indoor space, and actually turn a profit.

$500 is still a good deal, but they could save a good amount by going with screen printed dri-fit T shirts for fall and not mandating the team bags/helmets. Even the super secret elite teems of doom run T shirts in the fall.

-W

Jun 12, 2012
In VA a 10u team will run you $300-$500 per season. The cost should be in line with the number of tourneys planned for the season and any fundraising that is planned. We don't generally have paid coaches or cover expenses until you get to the 16-18u level with no-kid coaches. Any team should be able to provide a written estimate of income and expenses.

Feb 16, 2012
In the St. Louis area average costs are $900 - $1200 a year. That may or may not include bag, helmet and uniform. My DD's team fee for this year is $1090 + uniform and gear. This will include league fees, 8+ tournaments, winter workouts, field rentals and agility training. We pay a "deposit" and fund raise for the rest.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
My DD's NorCal 18 gold team was $700 for fall and $1500 for the summer. The $1500 included airfare and transportation for the Independence tourney in Co and all tournament fees. This is not normal for a gold team in Ca, we are fortunate. A few of my friends DDs have paid as much a $2500 for a summer. We do not keep the uniforms, but by that age who wants them. We have a sponsor for the equipment so that works out well.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
$500 for a 10U season seems like a pretty good deal since it includes bag/helmet/uniforms/tournament fees; and yes, it is normal for teams to have matching equipment.

It isn't the fees that can get you though, it is the travel and hotel fees that can break the bank. For example: DD's team is a showcase team out of Northern California, fall fees are $1,000. This fall they will travel to Southern California 5 times for 3 day showcases and each trip will cost our family about $1,000 (gas/hotel/food). Some families will get together and travel together and split a room to help defer costs...

I know a 10U team isn't going to travel that much but when deciding on a team make sure you know the travel schedule in advance, especially if money is tight.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I knew you were a soccer dad before I looked at your name. In soccer it is not uncommon for there to be a separate coaches fee, often times paid directly to the coach. But in Softball its far less common and when the coach gets paid, its usually wrapped up with the team fees and it is paid with the rest of the fees. So it sounds like $500 is your total cost and its not an uncommon fee. You just want to make sure that if you are paying a common fee, you are getting the common value.

how many tournaments, how many games in league. What equipment is covered and what equipment do they expect you to provide ie. bat, catchers gear, cleats in different color...

Nov 29, 2009
The fees for the organization I'm coaching in this year is $1950 plus two fundraisers for the entire year. The fees include all the uniforms and equipment, 3 fall touneys, 1 winter, 3 tournaments a month in the summer, two overnights, nationals, coaches fees, unlimited indoor facility, team hitting coach, dome practice time and all other team expenses. We're a cold weather state so it costs more in the winter. The organization is a 501(c) so that helps getting sponsors for the kids.

May 22, 2011
St Louis, MO
During tryouts this year I spoke to roughly 10 teams in the St Louis area. They all were pretty much around $300 - $500 after fundraising. Last year 12u was $1250 but only paid about $400 out of pocket. That covered 4 uniforms, bags, indoor facility, weekly reserved batting cages, 2 leagues and 13 tournaments. 4 were out of state and everyone was on their own for travel expenses.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA