Parents of select/travel teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Typically how much do you parents pay for say a 12U travel team...what do you get for your $$? Uniforms, practices, equipment etc.
* start up fee?
* monthly or yearly fee- what's included for each player?
* how many practices and/ or tournaments are included
Just trying to compare what each organization/ team provides for your $$....Thank you

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You are going to get all kinds of answers.

Last program DD played for.
  • Team Fee-$900 for Fall $900 for Summer
  • No uniform free--but had to turn them back in once you left the program
  • The travel, hotels, etc will vary
  • 6-8 events per season

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We play for a 16U National team, and our fees were $4,800, or $4,200 for cash. We got four Gluv uniform sets, helmets, and bags. We also have paid coaches. Our tournaments included 13 events, 7 in the fall, and 6 in the summer. Winter workouts were optional for us, but they were included in the price.

I've seen costs from $900-$5,000 for team dues. It all depends on what you want and what you get. The travel for a true National team can add tens of thousands, but at 12U, I feel that's unnecessary.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD plays for a "Regional" one squad travel team. They travel to KS, OK, AR, IL, and [was supposed to] TX....playing in tournaments against teams from states even further out.

What I will reference was from last year as this year has been a little different due to losing almost half the team to injuries out of the gate......
  • Last Year (DD's first full year with the team):
    • Team Fee's: $350 (includes practice field/off-season facilities) + fundraising (tournament fees)
    • Coaches: Unpaid
    • Uniform: Team had pants, just had to have 2 tops ordered. Included in above.
    • Events: 8 (4 required a hotel stay of 1-2 nights)
    • Gas/Food/Hotel: Variable (Ballpark figure: $2.5k-$3k)
  • This year:
    • Team Fee's: $0 (leftover from late fundraising + current year fundraising)
    • Coaches: Unpaid
    • Uniform: 1 new additional set (top & bottom) - $0
    • Team Helmet: 1 new - $0
    • Events: 6 (only 1 required hotel)
    • Gas/Food/Hotel: (Ballpark figure: $1k)
We're actually very fortunate to have found this team. It's very competitive regionally. They do easy fundraising. The head coach covers one tournament a year out of his own pocket (I have no idea why, I've been told he's always done it) and would refuse to be a "paid coach". He and the AC have kids on the team, but you'd have no idea (until they get after them).

Our location lets us drive 3-4 hours in any direction and we're in a major city. And can be in places like Denver or Dallas within a 6-10 hour drive. But because of that, our family of 5 typically goes to all of the tournaments.

So what I save in plane tickets I swear I spend on food......

Sep 19, 2018
like @LEsoftballdad I am in NY.
For year 21/22
$2400 + 400 in fundraising.
3 full uniforms sets
Helmet and bag if necessary
We had 14 on the team (long story)
17 tournaments
11 months of weekly practices
4 winter months of 2 team joint practice run by org trainer.
4 winter months of weekly position specific training run by org trainer.
All year access to facilities if not being used.

Jun 8, 2016
Rough estimate for us(second year 14u “National” team out of OK) would be about 10K-12K for everything (org fee, unis, tournament fees, coach fees, gas,hotels, gate fees). While some on the team will fly to a few of the tournaments we have yet to. Team hosts a fundraiser tournament in Spring and Fall which nets each player about 3K total.

Org fees (600) cover indoor facility use basically. Coach fees is 50 a month. Practice is 50 miles each way so with twice a week practice for 8 months gas can add up. Had 6 or 7 tournaments which required hotel stays, two for a week or so. Tournament fees were about 900, not sure about gate.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’d say if you’re just getting your feet wet in TB at the 12U level, anything over $1000-1500 is way too much. Absolutely no reason to be traveling across the country to play in big tournaments at that age for a big-name org. Start with a team that plays local and regional U-Trip or USA tournaments.

My start-up 14U team was about $800 for the year which included 2 sets of uni’s, an embroidered bag, helmet, indoor workouts, about 10 -12 USSSA tournaments and Nationals. This also covered field rental, insurance, etc. We did fundraising and obtained sponsors to help keep the cost down. Obviously that did not include hotel stays at overnight locations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles