Travel ball check in thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Have you played yet? How's it going? What level of play? We play our first Memorial weekend and unfortunately, our players are dropping like flies. Just lost one to Travel Volleyball, one to a bad concussion, one to a severe ankle sprain- and then she quit and says she's going to college early anyway. We had already lost our #1 pitcher and are down to 10 "game ready" girls -One of which hasn't shown up since she officially signed to her college. We are not off to a good start!
Good luck to everyone this year!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks for the heads up. When we reach that level I could see several girls on DD's current team bailing at the last minute- The money their parents had to shell out might keep them there, but not if princess thinks otherwise...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Once their college plans are secured, its really interesting to see who truly is motivated to practice and play hard. I have been surprised by some, others not so much.

Oct 10, 2011
Once their college plans are secured, its really interesting to see who truly is motivated to practice and play hard. I have been surprised by some, others not so much.
What's also unfortunate is that the coach, in trying to get warm bodies, picked up 2 girls (part of that 10) that I'm afraid could get injured. They clearly are over their head. Our SS left for VB, and her replacement just isn't a shortstop... Everyone we know is already on teams for the summer.

Apr 25, 2010
We have our first tournament this weekend and we have two girls whose HS teams are knocked out of playoffs but are playing league make up games. If they don't get them in before Saturday, we will be using pickups. Thankfully, we have two excellent players on standby whose teams are idle this weekend.

We play at 12U "A" with a team of all 11-year-olds. We have around 45 games in so far, which includes two tournament victories and a few third place finishes. We are winning at a little over a .700 clip and have gone to at least a semi-final in every tourney except one.

We have avoided the injury bug so far but we do have two sore arms that we're nursing. Neither are pitchers, however.

Aug 17, 2009
Baltimore, MD
First 18u travel tournament is this weekend but daughter is still in High School playoffs. If they win tonight they will play in the finals at the University of Maryland field on Saturday.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We play at the 12U "B" level but a lot of OPEN since a seperate "B" tournament is not very easy to find around here. We have a few players who are legit A/B players who hit well. My DD is one of them currently hitting .444 and leading the team in most offensive categories. Bringing in a D1 coach tonight to practice to hopefully get the other girls hitting a little better in the bottom of the order. "C" ball was easy you just stole 3 bases like little league and we would win that way. Open ball is different, most teams have a catcher that is quality and doesn't allow too many PB's. Currently we are young, not in age but in experience as we have several first year TB 12 year olds. But it's shaping up to be a nice season with over 70 total guaranteed games.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Playing in first tournament with this 18U team this weekend. Should be interesting since DD still trying to find confidence and place on team/line up. Scrimmage this last weekend wasn't pretty...for all though...not just DD. Supposed to be caliber team...got a lot of work to do in so little time. Sigh. And doesn't help that DD is stressing out about too much. Can't wait for school to be out!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What's also unfortunate is that the coach, in trying to get warm bodies, picked up 2 girls (part of that 10) that I'm afraid could get injured. They clearly are over their head. Our SS left for VB, and her replacement just isn't a shortstop... Everyone we know is already on teams for the summer.

Not to be an alarmist, but if your DD (or any other player on the team) is counting on getting exposure this summer, now's the time to take a real hard look at things and have a serious talk with the coach and/or team. There likely are other teams in similar situations. If you are just squeaking by at the beginning of the summer season, it doesn't bode well for multi-game days in the heat of the summer. It's hard to show your best stuff (and not much fun) when you HAVE to play every inning of every game, particularly draining on the Ps and Cs. At 18U, I'd take a roster of 16 over a roster of 10 any day (particularly if you have any second year 18s).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy