Transgender law allows CA male to make girls' softball team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
And the derogatory comments about the player are unwarranted and not acceptable in this day and age. I am not transgender and I find the comments insulting.

Yet we are suppose to still have "free speech." Is there no longer any value to that?

We now live in a world where some people look to be insulted just to be able to spout off that they have been insulted.

Jun 29, 2013
SC, very interesting perspective, you're hitting on a lot of issues that make me feel uncomfortable with allowing Pat to play on this team. And I really don't care if Pat wants to transition, I have no issue with that and hope she becomes what she believes she is. But competing, and taking a spot away from a genetic female seems wrong to me.
CLM265: I have been wondering the same thing, I think the law is specific to high schools, elementary schools, etc.

Feb 26, 2013
Could folks think for a minute? HIPPA is involved so going beyond whether the doctor thinks a kid is healthy enough to play gets you on thin ice. I am not sure the medical community is even comfortable with prescribing hormones, never mind making it a rule for 14-17 year old transgender youth to play sports, a rule that a coach or AD enforces? What, can other coaches or another parent appeal the player or demand proof?

The occurrence of transgender kids is so low, it will never be an issue. If you think one player can turn a team around so much that you can't beat them, well then, not sure what to say.

You can't put college education in there, because it is voluntary.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
He/she should not be allowed to play. DNA says he's a boy. You can't chop your DNA off and magically become a girl.

This is further proof that our postmodern culture has gone completely mad. It's a full frontal assault on definitions and objectivity. Play-dough reality.

Dec 20, 2012
The lengths that CA is going to in order to accommodate every single person is ridiculous. Transgender, fine. But that is a choice a person makes for themselves. And from what I got from the article he still has all the equipment and is not receiving any hormone treatment. So regardless of what he calls himself biologically he is still male. When you talk about testosterone level in a 17 yr old male avg around 700-800. Compare that to a female at that age, less than 70. That alone is a HUGE problem, regardless if they are sincere or faking the transgender identity! My dd is a big strong kid but at 17 you can have a boy that is 5'2 110 lbs or 6'6 300 lbs. What if this BOY was built like Mark Mcgwire? Would people feel the same about him playing with or against their daughters? This is the type stuff we are opening ourselves up for. I'm all for live and let live but when you make choices there may be consequences for those choices. If you feel so strong about something and want to make a major change in your life then you must expect that you could lose other benefits that you enjoy. What next, a man gets a sex change, wife divorces him because of the operation and he sues her for discriminating against his sexual orientation? And wins! We all make choices that keep us from doing things we want. Want to go to Yale, better have the grades. Want to be in the FBI, better have a clean record. Want to make the Olympic track and field team, better be able to run fast. Want to play women's sports, better be a woman. The school has a baseball team, why not keep playing baseball? Why the need to play softball? It's not as if there is no other option. I would be more receptive had the school not fielded a baseball team and he wanted to play a sport similar, but that is not the case. And what kind of distraction is this going to be to the team? Media, fans harassing them, I'm sure there will be extra security at games. California is basically bankrupt and I'm sure this is gonna cost a pretty penny to school district. It's as if the parents/student were looking for some type of controversy. but this is just my opinion

Dec 20, 2012
I see no real value to bringing the original topic to DFP.

Really? Is this not softball related??? Obviously it is a concern for some and therefor entitled to be a topic of discussion. Who are you to determine if topic has value to anyone on this board???????????????????????

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
T

The school has a baseball team, why not keep playing baseball? Why the need to play softball? It's not as if there is no other option.

If you were this person, what would you do? You believe that you're a girl stuck in a boys body. You want to be a girl. You're already dressing and acting like a girl. Wouldn't you want to play on a girls team? Or would you still want to play on the baseball team with boys? Wouldn't that - having a baseball player who identifies as a girl - have the same potential to draw the media or fan harassment and extra security that you spoke about? Or would you try to act and dress like a boy and play baseball and deny who you believe yourself to be? Or would you decide that because people can't accept you that it's better not to play sports at all?

I understand the concerns that people have. Not trying to debate whether this is right or wrong. But since someone did ask, I will say that if there were a transgender player in the other dugout of my daughter's high school or travel games, I would have no problem with it. Not saying it would be wrong to object on certain grounds, but I would be fine with it. I would be surprised if my daughter didn't feel the same.

Jul 26, 2010
CIF should just change the rules so that instead of stating "male" and "female" (which are now states of mind under California law, and not biological conditions), they simply state "presence of" or "absence of" the X chromosome.

Problem solved, play ball.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
Really? Is this not softball related??? Obviously it is a concern for some and therefor entitled to be a topic of discussion. Who are you to determine if topic has value to anyone on this board???????????????????????
There are people who know how to read who understand the purpose of this website.

And the people who know how to read are capable of recognizing that this topic - as presented - falls outside DFP guidelines. There are a few pretty good reasons for disallowing political discussions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207