Not sure what to do? New team, new issues.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
jquick:

It really depends upon the coach. My DD's varsity team is in practice or games every day until 5 or 6 PM. The kids then have to do homework.

My DD is in practice until 530 Monday-Saturday and has plenty of homework but without a doubt my DD's high school and other local ones aren't working very hard every day. Most days my DD gets home for dinner around 9pm, showers and does homework until midnight and then gets up and does it again the next day without much complaint.

I am not really seeing anything wrong here. Your DD is on a team of high school girls (you knew that in advance) and your coach said that you wouldn't be doing much in the spring (so, you knew this in advance, as well) and now all of it is actually happening and you're worried?

Seriously, it is hard to get a bunch of high school girls together during high school season, even in those states that allow them to play outside their high school teams. The coach probably can't get more than two or three for any given "practice" time and with the cost of facilities factored in with the knowledge that almost the entire team is practicing/playing five days a week makes it not really worthwhile to hold practices.

What is done is done. A middle school girl joined a team made up of high school girls and this is one of the issues (there are more) you're going to have when that decision is made. If she is being allowed to pick up, just let your DD play and be happy. Her team will get going soon enough and all should turn out fine.

Apr 19, 2011
It is not illegal to do both travel and hs ball in our state. Travel ball goes year around. I don't see the difference than what we did during the middle school seasons. They practice and played two games a week from August to November and kept up with their travel ball obligations. For those that said that he was up front is missing the fact that he really wasn't up front. He told us there wouldn't be much going on, realized the kids and parents had a problem with that and then promised us consistent practice and a few tournaments because he even agreed that they should be playing. They have practiced like 4 times since January and they are very light practices as well. My dd doesn't want to play for the other team because she didn't get along well with one particular girl and she doesn't really like the coach. She has played with the most of the girls in school ball and basketball so she knows them all pretty well. The team isn't as good, but they're competitive. She has said she is ready to be playing with her team but she doesn't want to wait until the middle of June to play. She hasn't played with them since November and all of her friends seasons are in full swing and she feels like she is missing out. Basically she is torn as well. I forgot to add that every time he calls for an optional practice (4 times) the majority of the team showed up. We have access to free fields and live in a warmer climate. We only have to pay for an indoor facility if it rains.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
My dd was on a showcase team for three years. Every showcase tournament we went to was by invitation. Our coach had to send money and the team's resume to the tournament director before prior year end, the tournament director would gather all of the resumes, decide which teams to invite, and if you didn't get invited the TD would return the money. If your team is a showcase team the schedule should already be basically set.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You keep saying June... where is that date coming from? Typically teams will start playing mid-May or so (Unless HS teams are in the playoffs).

Yes you have to pay for showcases well in advance.

Your DD is picking up and playing... maybe try to see if other teams need pick up players (she doesn't have to only pick up with 1 team).

Get used to this... as the girls get older the more you will understand.

Apr 19, 2011
You keep saying June... where is that date coming from? Typically teams will start playing mid-May or so (Unless HS teams are in the playoffs).

Yes you have to pay for showcases well in advance.

Your DD is picking up and playing... maybe try to see if other teams need pick up players (she doesn't have to only pick up with 1 team).

Get used to this... as the girls get older the more you will understand.

June is when the first tournament is scheduled for their season. He told us that they would play one in April and two in May just to keep the younger girls playing, but when he sent out the new revised schedule, he took those tournaments off the schedule. The reason we haven't looked for another team to pick up with is because we know what to expect with this team and coach and we know that she will play even if it isn't in her prime position. We know people that have traveled out of state for multiple day tournaments as a pick up player only to sit 90% of the time. It seems that every coach treats a guest player differently. We have known some to start the guest player and play them over the girls on their team and some that just use the guest player in maybe a pool game if they're lucky. I understand both ways...just seems risky to pick up with teams that you're not familiar with?

Thank you for all of the feedback. Unfortunately we still haven't been able to come to a decision. There are pros and cons to both.

Jun 12, 2015
FWIW, my dd has picked up with a good number of teams, at least 5 or 6 in her year and a half of TB, and she's never had to sit more than an inning here and there. I don't think they usually pick up players just to sit them; otherwise why pick them up at all? I have seen coaches (OK, coach) pick up players they don't need (not a big fan of this) but still didn't sit them; rather, they sat their own players that weren't as strong as the pick up players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06