Tournament Game Scheduling; VENT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Even down in the 10U B world, we've had tournaments where the girls are on the field for what feels like unhealthy amounts of time. 6 games in a day, the last three with zero breaks? Yikes.

Jun 11, 2013
If you are going to have tournaments with all bracket games in one day there is no way you can avoid playing back to back unless you want to stay until 10 PM and play. Some teams wind up with more breaks and some have a tougher time, but that's just the way it is.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
PGF Qualifier in Las Vegas this weekend. First game 8:00am...4th game 9pm, with a break in between each game (our girls tend to prefer back-to-back games). All games were 1:40 no-new or 7 innings, must play to a winner. We were at the fields for 16 hours, which sets our record for longest softball day. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Sunday.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
You didn't say what age group these players were but I expect under 14U. It is tough but can be done. Teams play more coming out of the losers bracket and not uncommon to hear of 4 and 5 games in a day for the larger tourneys. DD's college club team had to play 5 seven inning games, only one was a run rule with 20 minutes between. Players ate all day long in the dugout and ran to the restrooms between games. It can be done but it takes a tremendous amount of willpower, determination and grit.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Living life in the Loser's bracket is a tough living. DD played(caught) 5 back to back games back in the 14U days. All in the loser's bracket. It's still better than playing your 4 games and going home. I miss those do or die days. Now, it's 4/5 game showcases or a showcase with 3 pool games and then single elimination bracket that is usually set up by the TD to create the best draws for the Cream of the Crop Gold teams. No blind draws. First bracket game is gonna be a dog fight or a run rule.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
If you are going to have tournaments with all bracket games in one day there is no way you can avoid playing back to back unless you want to stay until 10 PM and play. Some teams wind up with more breaks and some have a tougher time, but that's just the way it is.

But they weren't. That was my point. There were Bracket games on Monday too. But the Sunday schedule was super crammed and only 10 teams were left to play on Monday. Seems like they could have spread those games out a bit. They were using a total of seven fields at two different parks.

Jul 15, 2015
This past Saturday...8:00 a.m. pool game, another pool game, first bracket game, second bracket game starting at 10:00 p.m. Long day.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You didn't say what age group these players were but I expect under 14U. It is tough but can be done. Teams play more coming out of the losers bracket and not uncommon to hear of 4 and 5 games in a day for the larger tourneys. DD's college club team had to play 5 seven inning games, only one was a run rule with 20 minutes between. Players ate all day long in the dugout and ran to the restrooms between games. It can be done but it takes a tremendous amount of willpower, determination and grit.

My DD is 14U. If we had made it to Sunday, it was going to take 5 games to reach our goal, with most of them being back-to-back. It was a long day, but a good learning experience for the team.

Oct 4, 2018

Yeah, we wrapped up at 11pm or so.

However, we have been in tournaments where they break the teams into pods of 4, so that the brackets take less time to complete. Basically the first game is the semi-finals. While it perhaps makes a championship less impressive, the girls (and I) don't care one bit.

Oct 4, 2018
PGF Qualifier in Las Vegas this weekend. First game 8:00am...4th game 9pm, with a break in between each game (our girls tend to prefer back-to-back games). All games were 1:40 no-new or 7 innings, must play to a winner. We were at the fields for 16 hours, which sets our record for longest softball day. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Sunday.

Last weekend was my record too. Left the house at 5:30 am, home at 12:30 am. 19 hours door to door, probably 15-16 at the fields.

At least she's only 9 and I only have to do this another decade or so. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles