tossing things your way.... what is your response

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Hi,

Its been a long time since I posted mainly because DD doesn't play travel ball anymore. Anyhow we are just starting our high school season and are getting difficult again, just like last year....we are going down a very familiar path here....

My DD has decided against playing softball in college and has chosen Basketball but is one of the best players on our high school team. Due to an injury she got during regional basketball she is unable to catch this year, she is playing shortstop so everything is fine, she is doing a good job and her replacement catcher is very good catcher and a good kid.

The coach is kinda of arrogant, and has trouble seeing anything anyone elses way. For the last few games he is pitching only one pitcher who has a nice fast ball but can throw a few other pitches. He wont let her throw anything but fast balls....either inside or outside and a few drops here and there. Typically we pretty much dominate the first game and get crushed the second game.....I assume the other teams after seeing this one pitcher for that length of time is picking up on her pitching and just pounding the ball. This girl has a good ERA for her pitching career she is a junior now. She has only given up 2 otf homeruns her entire time pitching from childhood. The other day she gave up 4 otf.....very frustrating for everyone, because we see her wanting to throw a game correctly but he is stubbornly sticking to his game plan of blowing it by everyone.....The parents have finally had enough and approached me to talk to him......Keep in mind that we are focused on basketball and the last think I want to do is piss off the coach for softball?? Anyhow the team is requesting the captains parents have a talk with him...but I have no idea what to say....kinda hard to get your point across when you come and just say...Coach you suc k let the girls play the way they know how...let the catcher call t he game if it doesn't work we can go back to your way...

If we keep following this we wont go to state this year again and our season will be down the drain......but as I said I am not sure I want to stick my neck out there. Any advice for or against doing this? Any advice of the proper way to address this problem

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No way should you get involved in this.

I am taking for granted that the coach doesn't know a drop ball from a rise ball. The pitcher should just work her game and pitch smart. I wouldn't want her to throw anything down the middle, she is going to get hurt.

Good luck.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I completely agree with Amy. Do not get involved, it is a dead end for you and possibly your DD.

With luck, the Catcher and pitcher agree on how to call a good game. They can play the game that coach wants them to (almost). Coach calls an inside fastball, catcher nods at coach, catcher signals screwball, pitcher throws screwball, batter strikes out and coach thinks he is Gods gift to softball. Win Win.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Yeah I talked to another coach today, her old high school softball coach, and he said same thing. He did say if the coach continues to give the girls a hard time about calling pitches they should talk to AD...only after they have made every effort to talk to the coach about the problem. They tried to mix it up a few times and he got on them for it....but in reality, he wont take them out....he doesn't have another catcher with my daughter out... and the pitcher is his number 1..he does have 3 other pretty good pitchers but he wont ever give them any circle time. The coach is a little smug and really is the type of coach who look s at the girls tells them to shut up they don't know what they are talking about and that's its always tells them its their fault they lost the games. My kid just smiles and nods at him on the outside.....and grumbles on the inside.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Stupid HS softball coach? Wow, I never saw that one coming...

What I like is that your dear friends want you to get in the middle of a street brawl when you have nothing at stake. How sweet. Did they suggest you get a second job delivering pizzas in Juarez also?

"you ain't got a dog in this fight."

**OR**

"don't go putting your nose where it don't belong."

**OR**

"Don't sweat the small stuff...and it is all small stuff."

Mar 20, 2010
I kinda agree with most of what has been said previously. As and assistant park ball coach, we teach our girls discipline. (If we say don't swing, don't swing... duh!!!!) The coach is the coach (whether he knows what he is doing or not). Since you have no real interest in the battle, I would suggest you leave it alone and let the parents of the pitcher (or other interested parties) duke this one out. In our local middle school, the softball coach (in name only) has requested assistance from the parents of some of the girls who have coached at our park for a number of years. In my estimation, this makes him a better coach than yours because he knows when he is in over his head. Someone suggested above that if the pitcher/catcher combo is working as a team and can read the opponent, maybe calling their own pitches may not be a bad idea. The coach could be looking for them to develop their own decision making and understanding of the game. However, this could backfire on the players and become a negative for them. If it is attempted and there is backlash from the coach, just let them say 'yes sir' and continue with his game plan.

If the recommendation of the other parents (those with a vested interest including the backup pitchers) talking to the coach doesn't help, they could speak with the AD or some other school official that may have some influence over this so called coach. If he is unwilling to listen and take some recommendations from players and parents he isn't much of a coach in my book. For me it is all about the girls and developing them into ball players with proper technique, good teamwork and having fun. If it has become all about the coach it may be a lost cause.

Hope some of this may help! Good Luck!
Coach Brad

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Welcome to high school softball. Few if any coaches really know anything about softball in our area. They bid on a job and got it. Been around this sport a long time and nothing surprises me watching high school softball. Just like I told my dd last night , he is the coach and you have to do it his way in practice if he is right or not doesn't matter. When you play travel ball, do it the way the college coaches taught you in camps .

Sep 8, 2008
Lancaster, SC
I agree with coachNdad we had a high school coach who loved the power trip of calling pitches, although he didnt know a damned thing about pitching, so if he called a fast inside it becomes a screw. A fast outside becomes a curve etc...We won, the coach looked good so he was happy and he never knew the difference. But DONT approach him! You cant win that fight.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Yeah....well I am staying out of it to be honest. But the team imploded last night!! I guessed he reamed the catcher first about 5 pitches she changed in the last double header and then proceeded to ream the Pitcher the five pitches she called were change ups, cause he never calls change ups The girls tried to explain that maybe he wasn't seeing the same thing they were but he would have none of it. Ended up calling them spoiled brats with bad attitudes and that they think they are better then the rest of the team. Which I know these kids they are not like that....so he just pissed the entire team off but I am happy the girls stood up for themselves in a respectful manner. He will be lucky if they don't all quit on him and go play tennis, track. I know we graduate 4 seniors, and the others have already said they are not playing ....oh well arrogance will get the best of you. I just sit far away and dream about better days...LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles