Top hand release or keep on bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Watching and reading the Whip Hit thread, I noticed that the hitter releases her top hand right after ball contact. What are the pros and cons of this technique? My DD has traditionally kept both hands on the bat during follow through but have recently taught her to release the top hand, seems more comfortable and "natural" for her.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Watching and reading the Whip Hit thread, I noticed that the hitter releases her top hand right after ball contact. What are the pros and cons of this technique? My DD has traditionally kept both hands on the bat during follow through but have recently taught her to release the top hand, seems more comfortable and "natural" for her.

In my opinion when first learning how to use the WhipHit I would highly suggest top hand release as until they learn a proper hand path they will roll their wrist and not get to extension and hit their back or shoulder. Once they get use to using it with both hands they will not hit their back or shoulder.

In the beginning with a bat I like them to keep both hands on the bat as trying to teach them when to let go causes more issues. They will start to let go when it feels comfortable to them has been my experience.

Thanks Howard

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
In my opinion when first learning how to use the WhipHit I would highly suggest top hand release as until they learn a proper hand path they will roll their wrist and not get to extension and hit their back or shoulder. Once they get use to using it with both hands they will not hit their back or shoulder.

In the beginning with a bat I like them to keep both hands on the bat as trying to teach them when to let go causes more issues. They will start to let go when it feels comfortable to them has been my experience.

Thanks Howard

Howard - Thanks. I guess my question is does releasing the hand help (or hurt) with generating power, more consistent contact, etc.. Do we only teach it for comfort, or other added hitting benefits?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard - Thanks. I guess my question is does releasing the hand help (or hurt) with generating power, more consistent contact, etc.. Do we only teach it for comfort, or other added hitting benefits?

We do a hand over drill to teach extension and it is done by learning how the lead hand must continue after contact is made and not breaking the wrist until extension. They will feel better and that usually translates to them doing better after the female feels good has been my experience.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877