top 12u pitchers ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
I really like the way Screwball answered your question. When my DD was pitching we took time off every fall just to unwind. Then she would start weightlifting again in December and we would start pitching again in December as well. Down time is a must IMHO. Even during the season we only worked 3 days a week plus weekend games. Anymore then that and burn out can become an issue, again that is just my opinion. But as the kids get older and are playing TB and HS ball they get a lot of playing time. Our HS season is 45 games packed into a month and a half so they get pushed a lot that time of year. Overuse can lead to long term issues and should be watched.

Jul 1, 2010
I'm debating the same issues right now about my 11 yo. Better than average speed and location that has had success and is ahead of most 12U in our area. Since playing in college is her goal (not mine or Mom's) she is concerned that she will become the girl that was great at 12U, but couldn't cut it at 14U, 16U, etc.

She has agreed to play an alternative sport with a fun workout to build core strength and stamina and to take a month and a half off from all things softball. I think (hope) Screwball and others are correct about coming back stronger mentally and physically. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll get the evil eye from DD. ;)

What do you experts out there think of continuing weekly pitching lessons focusing primarily on mechanics and a few speed drills [her idea and pitching coach recommendation :p] and not practicing during the rest of the week during this month and a half? Waste of time and money? Go for it?

Thanks in advance.

May 18, 2009
The following chart from Jennie Finch's old website displays her top pitching speed by age:

Age / Top Speed
8 / 49
9 / 51
10 / 53
11 / 55
12 / 59
13 / 62
14 / 63
15 / 66
16 / 68
17 / 68
18 / 67
19 / 67
20 / 69
21 / 70
22 / 71
23 / 71

Wow! I love watching my daughter pitch. It amazes me any girl is that fast at 8. My daughter will be turning 8 this year and I hope by the end she can hit a top speed of 40. That's wishful thinking.

Feb 9, 2011
All the concern over speed, when it's great to have for a strike out pitch but position and control is alot more important. The fastest 12u pitcher I know around Little Rock, AR throws upper 50's to low 60's in games. She throws strikes and doesn't have alot of movement team rarely wil finish in the top 3 if more than 6 teams in tournament.

"A" class teams eat up fastballs even at 12u, some teams carry a pitching machine crank the speed up to high 50's before they face her and tattoo the ball during the game.

Same team got beat bad by a top team with their own 55+ plus pitcher. They didn't pitch her they threw a junk baller at around 45-48 mph. She hit her spots threw a good change-up and they were swinging before the ball even got to the plate.

Long story but point is teach her to hit her spots and work on throwing a change up and then drop at will and she will hold her own. The speed will come with time and lots of reps. Most girls that "bring the heat" in tournaments and are the "starter" usaully fissle out by the third round of tournaments anyway.

Dec 20, 2012
Like Screwball said, there are other ways eto do that without softball in the picture. The top HS pitcher in our area takes the fall off to play soccer for her HS. I know some other top pitchers that take winter off to swim on the swim team or play basketball. I don't know if they completely shut down or not. I know that the pitcher who plays soccer in the fall still practices pitching once every few weeks or so just to keep the rust off. Then she starts hitting it hard again after a short 2-3 week break when soccers season's over.

The best HS pitchers are not always the top travel ball pitchers. HS has such deluted talent in some parts of the country. You will see a girl throwing low to mid 50's have tons of success in HS because of run support. Or you see an Ace that should have strike out after strike out but has an inexperienced catcher that can't keep up with breaking pitches. In rural areas talent is spread thin. Not to mention the number of kids that play multiple sports, giving themselves no chance to perfect any one sport. Although there are those select few that can play any sport and dominate. But the pitchers that play or want to play at the elite levels are the ones that play the one sport all year and often play just that one position. Unless your are talking CA or TX, top pitcher in the state does not equate to being a great pitcher.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ya gotta remember, it's not ONLY the pitcher that gets the team TO the nationals. It's also not JUST the pitchers that win the tournaments.

I have had 10u ( about to turn 11) students that threw 55 to 57. They would be considered exceptional.

I was kindly given a photot and statement of a pitcher that has used my advice since she startyed pitching at, I think 12-years-old. She is a HHS sophomore now and was clocked at 67mph. The list of D-1 colleges that want her is quite long. The statement and photo are on my webpage. She is also one that must be considered exceptional because of her speed and the fact thhat she is 6' 1" tall, if I recall correctly. Not bad for a 16-year-old.

Any ways, its not just the pitchers that win a national tournament, although they are a big part.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
But the pitchers that play or want to play at the elite levels are the ones that play the one sport all year and often play just that one position.

Like Cat, Jennie, and Monica? Didn't they play HS basketball, volleyball, and soccer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24