Tool to help hitting rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
We had a little problem hitting the rise last game, I was trying to think of a good way to work on hitting a good rise. I was thinking using a (Hit and Zip) starting the ball at release and having it rise to the top of the strike zone.

Has anyone used the (Hit and Zip) and used it as I’m thinking of doing?

Thanks.

Zip-N-Hit - Baseball Swing Trainer

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The drill we have that has worked. We set a T on a bucket at the top of the strike zone and teach our kids to start the elbow high and adjust down. . Used this against one of the the best rise ball pitchers in Ohio last year in a showcase at Indy. Beat her 6-2. It works.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2010
Peppers, I think that if you set the zip n Hit up to look like a rise ball, your bat would more than likely hit the rope on your swing, becaue the rope goes past you for several feet.

Oct 19, 2009
Peppers, I think that if you set the zip n Hit up to look like a rise ball, your bat would more than likely hit the rope on your swing, becaue the rope goes past you for several feet.

I was wondering the same is why I asked about it.

SBFamily I practice this with my daughter and she hit this pitcher pertty well, I need to work with the other kids on it too thanks for the info!:cool:

I purchased a Hit and Zip Pro at Wal-mart last night, the instructions number 4 says:

4. A great fastpitch softball drill! The pitcher holds hands vertically (illustration shows one hand on top of the other) hand over hand. Keep the top hand still and pull the bottom hand down quickly. The ball will zip down the line and rise up as it approaches the batter.

It was late when I purchased it and have not gotten the chance to try it, so I will let you know how it works.

The only thing I see is the rope looks kind of weak. :(

Oct 19, 2009
We used the Zip and Hit and it works basically as it is advertised. It will simulate a rise if used correctly, the manual advises it can go 60 MPH and I would say it is that fast if done correctly.

Oct 25, 2009
The best way to deal with a rise ball (high pitch at younger ages) is to teach them the strike zone. We teach below the hands.

Jul 26, 2010
The best way to deal with a rise ball (high pitch at younger ages) is to teach them the strike zone. We teach below the hands.

Easier said then done. A riseball pitched less then 65mph is essentially a lob ball that is release low, goes high, and comes back down in the upper part of the strike zone. That means that it spends part of its trajectory "above the hands" and then comes in "below the hands". So what exactly do you do to teach them where, exactly, in the pitch they are to decide if it is above or below the hands?

I always prefer methods that teach kids how to HIT the ball then methods to AVOID the ball. With the strike zone being called so low these days, those "high balls" are very hittable, and can often be hit VERY hard. I like hitters, not dodgers, in my lineup.

-W

Nov 1, 2009

True, but you certainly would know if you kept your hands above the ball.

Oct 25, 2009
Easier said then done. A riseball pitched less then 65mph is essentially a lob ball that is release low, goes high, and comes back down in the upper part of the strike zone. That means that it spends part of its trajectory "above the hands" and then comes in "below the hands". So what exactly do you do to teach them where, exactly, in the pitch they are to decide if it is above or below the hands?

I always prefer methods that teach kids how to HIT the ball then methods to AVOID the ball. With the strike zone being called so low these days, those "high balls" are very hittable, and can often be hit VERY hard. I like hitters, not dodgers, in my lineup.

-W

The rise ball I'm talking about starts low and continues to rise until it's caught. Never seen the pitch you described except in slow pitch. And I guarantee you we didn't see anything above 60 mph.

The batters evaluate the pitcher from the dugout and then on deck. When they recognize a pitcher is throwing rise balls they are more aware at bat to try to recognize the rise ball pitch. We teach them to swing at pitches below the hands; we do not teach to "avoid" the pitch above the hands. Think positive, not negative.

Of course, this is not the only part of hitting we teach. We have been very successful this year at not swinging at rise balls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck