To mask or not to mask...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2012
New Mexico
I know it's a dumb question and I think I know the answer but I will ask anyways.Tomorrow starts 5 games in 7 days then season is over. We started kid/coach pitch on Monday against a very leisure team so we didn't worry about it as I had ordered one and it hadn't arrived yet. Since then I found out where I ordered from still hadn't shipped as of Wed so I cancelled my order. After getting DD in the batting cage the last couple nights she hit me with a couple of line drives and a lot of close calls. Now I am nervous about letting the girls pitch without one even though they only get 3 pitches per batter.

8U.... to mask or not to mask? Next year in 10U they will wear a mask or no pitch period.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
8U Rec All-stars played tonight (not A travel) girl in circle on other team takes a line drive to the face. She said "that was cool" as she picked her mask up off the ground. She would not be saying anything or playing the rest of the game if she had not been wearing a mask when the ball hit her and knocked it off.

I consider it a strategic advantage to wear a mask. They allow you to watch the ball with out fear of getting hit by the ball OR umpires just wear them as fashion statements.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
The ball can come off the bat twice as fast as it can be pitched. Rules won't even allow for the batter to step in without a helmet with a cage on it, lest they get hit in the face with a wild pitch. My DD won't step on the field without hers.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is no better time than NOW to get your DD used to wearing a mask if she pitches.....my DD will NOT pitch without one!

May 10, 2010
I see no downside to wearing a mask, would like to see it mandatory at the corners as well. I see more confidence, especially at the younger ages, while wearing a mask.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD wears a mask and this is the 1st year, 12U that all our pitchers do. I cannot think of any P in our League that does not wear one but I might have forgotten a couple. I would not mind this to be a Team rule but since it is not I do not care if other players wear one or not, they can make their own decisions.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should I risk a life threatening injury to my DD or should I listen to her whining?

Life is full of tough choices...

Oct 31, 2010
My rule for DD is you don't step on that field without it on PERIOD! She attended a high school camp earlier this week & she was 1 of the 3 out of about 80ish girls wearing one. Even the high school coach said he is a huge fan of masks.

Dec 7, 2011
Then ya get to the college recruiting scene and ya hear all the comments about college coaches don't like masks and then ya actually go to a camp, like we did, and the head coach scorns those that brought their masks....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Then ya get to the college recruiting scene and ya hear all the comments about college coaches don't like masks and then ya actually go to a camp, like we did, and the head coach scorns those that brought their masks....

If a college coach scorned my DD for wearing a mask while she was pitching I would tell my DD to pack up her stuff....we are leaving, and I would write a letter to the coaches athletic director demanding a refund for the camp.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild