To go or not to go, that is the question....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Shoot I am going on the trip too! Girls love to have people in the stands cheering for them and who doesn't love Florida!
That is probably the school board rules--everything you mentioned!

ALSO---Put me down for the Alabama game as well! Love me some Patrick Murphy:)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
And any trouble your kids can get into in FL they can get into easier at home ;)

I may be wrong to base my opinion of Florida on Scarface and a single business trip, but there is plenty of trouble to be had in FL. My trips to Cleveland, Oklahoma City and other parts were not nearly as eventful as my trip to Florida. just sayin...

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I may be wrong to base my opinion of Florida on Scarface and a single business trip, but there is plenty of trouble to be had in FL. My trips to Cleveland, Oklahoma City and other parts were not nearly as eventful as my trip to Florida. just sayin...

lol. The country and small town lifestyle where i was raised had more trouble due to boredom in my youth. The big cities like dallas, OKC, and Orlando were so much fun as a player.

The best trip was in Dallas summer junior year. Hotel and fields next to each other with a Hooters next door. 17 year old boys eating dinner at Hooters every night......

I tend to seek out trouble at my age now more than I did at HS. Maybe its because I can afford it now and couldnt then lol. My second trip to vegas was my last lol.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would only allow my DD to go if there were other freshmen going or if you DD is already good friends with some of the girls on the team. Juniors and seniors in high school can be "cliquey" and you would not want your DD to feel like she has no one to "hang out with" during the trip. As an 8th grader my DD played volleyball on a team with a bunch of juniors and seniors, but she did not enjoy it because she felt like a social outcast, even though she was one of the better players on the team.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Just to be clear - I wasn't talking about the trouble kids get into on their own - I agree that can happen anywhere regardless of whether it's a school trip or travel ball tournament trip.

And I agree that players need to become as self-sufficient as possible if they expect to play at the highest level.

I'm talking about adult authority figures (mostly male but certainly not always) telling me I don't need to worry about trusting the well-being of my teenage DD to them and that Mom or Dad being too nosy or involved might hinder development or scare off the college coaches if the reins to my child are turned over completely to him/her.

Call it paranoid if you want to...JMHO...allow access to your own child as you see fit...

Jul 2, 2013
When the Varsity High School coach asks your DD to go ... she goes.

No ifs, ands, or buts. It is an honor and should be respected.

Our HS is the same. Absolute minimal contact during traveling play. No breakfast, no lunch, no dinner. In the legal sense, the HS has custody of your DD from the point she gets on the bus, until she gets back off at home. Usually accompanied by signed release forms.

As far as being overprotected. GROW UP, your DD is. The HS group takes these custody issues seriously, and they will not be in harms way. Unless you think older players talking about their boyfriends, or heaven forbid, discussing the facts of life.

For me ... I am going. Staying in my own room, getting a flavor for the area, having a little vacation, and watching the HS team play. It is the best (except for the overprotective parents).

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Not sure why the nasty responses on this matter but to each his/her own.

I'm glad for those of you that live in areas where you don't hear about coaches getting reported to police, fired, and/or prosecuted for inappropriate conduct with players...seems like we see at least one or two a month here in SoCal...

Jul 2, 2013
Glad I don't live in SoCal ... then ... tho speaking of being negative, and possibly not factual.

Also our HS does not do the sleep-over thing. The players are released to the parents hotel room at 9P. Cannot leave hotel, only sleep.

Some areas may be different.

I still can remember my HS wrestling days in the 70's where the boy's (me) were looking for nothing but trouble. Have not seen anywhere near danger for my DD with the HS team in beautiful SC (State). And she started with the big girls as a frosh.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2008
My Opinion is if a parent can attend they should... not only to support the student and school but just in case there is an injury.

If they cannot because of work etc they should make the decision "after attending" the parent meeting where the itinerary, chaperones per student, meals, cost, free time etc is discussed.

The school and coaching staff should have all students EMF forms and permission forms in case they are needed if a parent cannot make it...

All of the school trips we have been involved in school rules apply. When dd went for band competitions in New York, New Orleans and Memphis the only down time was in the evening as they crashed. Tours, meals competitions all kept them busy from morning to the time they got back to the hotel.

One question I would ask is the rooming arrangements between the classes.
This is where Hazing tends to occur when seniors are with younger students/athletes.

Know where you want to go. Do not dream about it plan for it. Set goals and Make It Happen!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
When the Varsity High School coach asks your DD to go ... she goes.

No ifs, ands, or buts. It is an honor and should be respected.

Our HS is the same. Absolute minimal contact during traveling play. No breakfast, no lunch, no dinner. In the legal sense, the HS has custody of your DD from the point she gets on the bus, until she gets back off at home. Usually accompanied by signed release forms.

As far as being overprotected. GROW UP, your DD is. The HS group takes these custody issues seriously, and they will not be in harms way. Unless you think older players talking about their boyfriends, or heaven forbid, discussing the facts of life.

For me ... I am going. Staying in my own room, getting a flavor for the area, having a little vacation, and watching the HS team play. It is the best (except for the overprotective parents).

When the college coach tells the single mom raising her son to let him take her son to football games unsupervised and have access to him during showers and such, yeah what an honor it was for some of those Penn State boys...............
Blind obedience to "authority" figures has gotten many a child molested. Most of those events never get reported. Call me overprotective if you want, but I have seen the evil side of men (and women) and will protect my kids from it as long as I can. I know I can't be there for everything but for as long as I can I will defend the Alamo. P.S. My DD's already know the facts of life in all of the anatomic details. When they ask questions we supply them with the truth so they will be better prepared for life. We don't hide behind calling it the birds and the bees. We also don't just turn our kids over blindly to these unquestioned "pillars" of society.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff