To go or not to go, that is the question....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If your dd goes alone, she will be fine. She is not too young to go on a school trip like this. The Marching band from most HS go on week long camps without the option for each parent to attend.

But if you want to go, go. You will get to meet the other parents, see how the kids interact and more then likely have a very nice time. Either way, its a win win thing. What does your dd think about you tagging along? Or not?

Jun 24, 2013
I have a problem with any organization (travel, HS, etc.) telling me that I HAVE to entrust my minor child's welfare to them. Sorry but I've heard too many horror stories to trust anyone that completely.

I also remember being on those HS bus trips and it wasn't always PG-13. (And that was 20+ years ago) Even though it is all girls, by todays standards that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The decision should be based upon what works for the family. If you want to go, go. If you don't want to go, don't.

Your DD will probably like you being there, although she likely will not spend much time hanging out with you.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We would be following the bus, but that is just me and my wife.....

I'm with Mustangs on this. I would go for a few reasons.

1) Just supporting my daughter and seeing her participate in this cool opportunity.

2) DW wants a mini vacation

3) I get to be there just in case there are road trip issues.

4) Florida just scares me in general, I don't trust a state with rednecks, aging New Yorkers, gay folks and Cuban exiles all living in harmony. something wrong with that.

Jan 31, 2011
I think the whole thing sounds like a great opportunity. I would definitely have her go. If you want to go, then go. I would stay in a different hotel nearby and watch her have fun. I bet the rules are pretty strict for the team. If its a HS team they would certainly have curfew rules.

In our state, the teams that make it to the state HS tourney all stay in dorms at the local college. No parents. School conduct rules apply. Yes, the dorms are empty, Iowa plays Summer HS softball. The tourney is 3rd week in July.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I wouldn't have a problem sending her. Whether or not we went to watch would probably depend on what else we had going on in our lives.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The girls that are serious about softball, will police themselves and get to sleep on time, eat right and not goof around. I have one son that I wouldn't have trusted not to pull a fire alarm. Thank goodness, my other two had some common sense.

Jan 24, 2011
She will be OK without you. But , if you wan to go , then go. Just make sure to give her some space to experience some things on her own. Don't be a helicopter parent

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Wow the overprotective parents here :) Flame me all you want-if my parents went on any trip of this kind in my youth the view by my teammates and some coaches was my parents were overbearing and it would hurt my development on and off the field. IMHO college coaches that will be watching want to see the independence since shell be at college on her own.

In my hs and college days its the trips that I remember and the comradrie they developed. The games and trophies Ive long forgotten. Sure a small percentage made dumb decisions. I learned what not to do by watching the idiots get themselves in trouble. Im glad I had thsoe opportunities to learn those lessons.

And any trouble your kids can get into in FL they can get into easier at home ;)

If this is an official school trip with adults present that you feel you can trust let her go on her own.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd