To catch or not to catch??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2014
Im looking for some opinions!! My DD 13yr told me yesterday that she wants to learn a new position (catcher). She is the Center fielder in her Rec and travel teama also she is the faster runner in both teams. Im afraid that she losses her speed playing catcher?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unqualified heck yes from me.

She is not making a SB career decision, she will be learning one of the 2 most desired positions in SB.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I have 2 catchers. In my opinion, the first best characteristic for a catcher is a kid who wants to be back there. The next thing is being willing to work harder than everyone else. I don't think she will lose speed behind the plate, but catcher specific stretches are vital...every day. 1.) W-sitting stretches. Have her on the ground, knees down; in the blocked position. Toes out. Get the butt down as far as it will go. 2.) Calf/Ham stretches: One knee down, the other extended, heel down. Grab the toes on the extended leg. 3.) Preacher stretches: In the squat with feet a little less than shoulder apart. Use elbows at the knees and push the knees outward.

I suggest doing all catcher work with gear on; even running. The gear should be an extension of their body and they need to learn to work in the heat with it, and deal with the additional weight.

Any kid that is excited and willing to do all of that (and much more) should get the opportunity to give it a shot.

Jun 18, 2013
Im looking for some opinions!! My DD 13yr told me yesterday that she wants to learn a new position (catcher). She is the Center fielder in her Rec and travel teama also she is the faster runner in both teams. Im afraid that she losses her speed playing catcher?

Without knowing your DD it is hard to tell you for sure. The myth about losing speed is unfounded. Catchers can be just as athletic as any other position on the field. The main thing that you need to know before you move her back behind the plate is if she is going to be willing to work harder than almost everyone else on the team. The only players that have to put in as much time and work as catchers are pitchers. Pitchers put in tons of practice time but get the benefit of the spotlight. Catchers put in the practice time, work hard, sweat in their gear, get beat up, dirty, bruised, banged around, bloodied, and battered. They don't get the glory that other players do. And the ones that love it, that truly love playing the position, would beat you to within an inch of your life if you tried to take their gear from them. The dirt is in their blood.

If your daughter is the toughest kid you know, stubborn as a hard headed mule, and one of the best leaders on every team she plays on then let her try catcher and see if she has the chops.

By the way, you will know which poster's DDs are catchers by their responses. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, teenagers should be allowed to make choices as long as the choices don't risk injury. If you don't let teenagers make some choices, you are begging for problems.

I don't see the risk of being hurt catching as any worse than the risk of being hurt playing OF. So, if she wants to try it, let her.

True story:

There was a 12U kid who was a great shortstop and a great hitter. She wanted to catch. Her parents wouldn't let her for the same reason that you are worried. It created a huge problem. A year later, the kid quit playing softball.

Why? The kid was bored playing SS. She wanted to be involved in every pitch rather than 4 pitches a game. The only way she could do that was to catch.

So, let your DD try it. Whether she loves it or hates it, she will learn something about herself and about making choices.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Catchers have been some of the fastest players on my kids' teams, up through school ball. Catchers don't necessarily slow down until years of abusing their legs catches up to them.

Jul 6, 2013
There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that catchers get slower. As a matter of fact, the leg strength they gain in the quads and calf muscles would only help.

Jan 22, 2011
Catcher is the fastest player on my DD's 10u All-Star team. I've seen several excellent short stops become even better catchers. Short stops, CF, and catchers are all suppose to be leaders on the field.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
YES - let her try!! My DD moved to catcher when we had no one else on rec team. One year later, she is a more confident and focused player (now plays on a TB team). If she does decide to catch, make sure she gets extra time with the pitchers (even outside of practice). My DD tries to catch the pitchers during their lessons when possible. From my experience, the pitcher-catcher relationship is really special.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
I thought quandofloo was describing my DD.
The only things I'll add is she will need to have a super positive attitude. She'll need it to calm, pump up and sometimes motivate the pitcher and the team. We call my DD the "Field General".
Let her try it. If she "catches" the bug invest in the NECC dvd and find her a good instructor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1