What defensive positions are the hardest to fill for HS coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Besides pitcher and catcher, which position creates the biggest challenge for a coach to find quality players?

The reason I ask is for the second year in a row, (different team/different coach) my 13yo DD, who I consider to be a smart and above-average middle infielder, is the starting center fielder for her 14u travel team. Other than practice, she cannot seem to get any infield playing time and I'm afraid she is may lose some valuable infield skills that could help her in HS.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some players just can not play OF so coach needs to make a decision.

Knowing different positions is a good thing, she will catch back up for IF easy enough.

Feb 7, 2014
If your kid is one of the best 9 hitters she will play..

This is so true. 👆My DD played four (maybe five?) defensive positions last year including innings as a pitcher and catcher and though she didn't stick at any position she played she hit in every game. It is the single most important contribution you can have on a team. If you can hit you play.

If your kid is one of the best 9 hitters she will play..The fact she can play both IF and OF will be a bonus.
That's a whole nother thread...lol. Because she's little (5'0"), fast, and can bunt, DD gets the bunt sign for the first two strikes 90% of the time. Therefore, when swinging away, she is usually hitting behind in the count. Because she is right-handed and fast, her coaches have practiced her from the left side but never in a game yet. DD wants a hitting coach to learn to slap and bat left. I'm now looking for a coach to work with her on this.

Jun 8, 2016
LOL...same problem with her team last year so we found a new team for 22-23. Now when I complain, I'm getting crap from my wife for moving her from the old team because she is being used exactly the same way as last year.
Well keep working on her hitting, she’ll get there.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Pitching is usually the biggest challenge regardless of level.

Playing CF is no insult, especially in HS. That said, it's not unreasonable to want her to play some infield as well. DD was in this situation with her travel teams from 14U onward. It worked out. A polite conversation with the coach could help...perhaps you let your DD try it first. If the answer is no, have her pick up with teams that need a MI and will let her swing away before she's behind in the count...perhaps you find one you both like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478