Timing: Show bunt, pull back, swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
My DDs new coach (16U) has taught many of his existing players the timing technique described in the subject line. It's not a fake bunt, just about timing it seems and mostly about contact (two strike counts) but some kids use it more generally.

He hasn't started teaching new kids on the team the technique, and I haven't seen it before so not sure what to think.

What do you all think?

May 13, 2008
It is good for stronger girls who can produce good bat speed. I wouldn't suggest it for kids lacking upper body strength.

If an opponent never charges on the pull back, then you show bunt, pull back, then bunt. Then you'll really have them on their heels.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I like to use it in 2 ways:
1) Many of my girls have told me they prefer to do this as it takes all the thinking out of their heads and lets them react using their learned abilities, reactionary.

2) I LOVE this offensive strategy and for my own teams, I like to use it a lot.
If corners play up and middles cheat, we pull back and swing away. (I'm not talking about slapping, we can do that also, I'm talking about regular swing). infielders have less reaction time and holes in middle are one step bigger. ** IF corners DON'T come up because a couple times they did and we pulled back to hit... THEN we drop the bunt and drive them crazy! Its the batter's choice based on reading and taking advantage of what the defense gives you. Pressure on a defense is a HUGE advantage to the offense.

*** If you have a team that masters the Fake Bunt-Swing, THEN Progress as Cshilt states and batter STILL READING DEFENSE, show bunt-corners come up, batter pulls back and corners START to BACK PEDAL, THEN Batter DROPS the bunt, you have corners moving in the wrong direction and middles STOPPED moving to their respective bases.
Again, ALL about putting pressure on defense and giving batters weapons!

Jan 13, 2009
We also use this technique for two purposes:

1. As stated earlier, if a team's corners are agressive and the middle cheats over, we use it to push the ball back up the mdlle in the larger gap.

2. As a timing mechanism for faster pitchers, if we have problems making contact using a normal stance. The bunt stance allows a better view of the pitcher, and then a shorter, more direct pull back and path to the ball. If one of my batters starts to develop too big a load for a faster pitcher, this helps focus on getting bat to the ball.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
CoachC
2. As a timing mechanism for faster pitchers, if we have problems making contact using a normal stance. The bunt stance allows a better view of the pitcher, and then a shorter, more direct pull back and path to the ball. If one of my batters starts to develop too big a load for a faster pitcher, this helps focus on getting bat to the ball.[/QUOTE]

I like it! Clearly makes sense.

May 5, 2009
We'll use it not as a bunt at all but to make contact, shorten the swing, improving the view when the batter has two strikes.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
TowPilot : absolutely..... let me ask you this..... IF the corners stay back and the middles are sitting Deep OR tight to the middle, would you let your batter try and drop a bunt? (assumptions are decent spped, decent bunter - being 2 strikes).....

I agree with the traditional, 2 strikes, choke up and put the ball ini play concept. At least you have a chance of something positive happeninig vice a strikeout!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If I understand correctly, Rich isn't talking about a slug bunt/fake bunt and slap. It's a timing device for a full swing. No inception is intended.

I don't teach it, but I did have a player it worked for. Noticed it when we did go for the slug bunt with her. She'd pull back too far and too early and then crank a double. After it happened a couple of times I suggested she hit that way all the time.

Like everything else, it depends on the individual.

Jun 6, 2009
If I understand correctly, Rich isn't talking about a slug bunt/fake bunt and slap. It's a timing device for a full swing. No inception is intended.
I don't teach it, but I did have a player it worked for. Noticed it when we did go for the slug bunt with her. She'd pull back too far and too early and then crank a double. After it happened a couple of times I suggested she hit that way all the time.

Like everything else, it depends on the individual.

This was my understanding as well.

May 5, 2009
jimginas, Given your conditions I've been known to bunt with 2 strikes. It's definately in the play book and practiced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad