Timing of negative move

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
In general, should the negative move begin when the pitcher begins her windup or when the ball is released from her hand?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think it is different for every hitter. I call it "dancing with the pitcher." I think I might have stolen that from someone on this site.

Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, I was wondering mainly because I've been looking at some MLB hitter clips recently and noticed they started "generally" when the foot lifts, which in my unlearned understanding means the pitch has started. But, I also know that the distance is greater than SB so I wasn't sure about that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
General rule of thumb ... if you consider the pitcher to be on the slow end, then you begin the "slow and early" weighting of your rear leg when the pitcher is at their 12-O'Clock position ... and if you consider the pitcher to be fast end, then you begin the "slow and early" weighting of your rear leg when the pitcher is at their 3-O'Clock position. In both cases your rear hip is gaining ground (COM moving forward) as, or even slightly before, the ball releases from the pitcher's hand.

Dec 19, 2012
I think it is different for every hitter. I call it "dancing with the pitcher." I think I might have stolen that from someone on this site.

Howard Carrier used the term often. IMO it's a great que to promote rhythm and smoothness.

Jul 21, 2015
Yep, the key word in your title is "Timing". The goal is to be on time with the barrel, so your "slow and early" is only going to be as early or late as you need it to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach