Timing Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2013
Any good timing drills? I noticed DD is starting late on the pitcher so the ball gets too deep and not hitting the ball on the button. I dont like the cue..get your foot down earlier.. but the ball is on top of her by the time her heel plant is happening. I figured to start earlier and slower and pick up the rhythm of the pitcher.but what are ways to simulate this

Aug 15, 2014
I would say have a aggressive approach from the start , with the always think "hit " first in their head ( even on take counts ).
Tee work out front of the plate.. Change her mindset about hitting..attack,attack,attack

Mar 21, 2013
Why not "get the foot down quicker" so she can start her swing sooner? If she is a stepper then she can't swing until her step is firmly on the ground, and if she doesn't get her foot down until the ball is already on her then it really doesn't matter how fast her hands are. Getting the step down sooner will also give her more time to recognize the pitch prior to the swing. What happens most of the time though is they start getting the foot down sooner, but hold the bat back longer to find the timing they are comfortable with which defeats the purpose.

When changing timing they need to get out of their comfort zone which can be difficult. So much of the hitting game is mental. My opinion

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Why not "get the foot down quicker" so she can start her swing sooner? If she is a stepper then she can't swing until her step is firmly on the ground,
How about 'starting' your swing before your foot is 'firmly' on the ground. I want to see shift AND swing not shift THEN swing.

May 3, 2014
How about 'starting' your swing before your foot is 'firmly' on the ground. I want to see shift AND swing not shift THEN swing.

I make them wait to even move the front foot until they have to swing - the stride is result of the swing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Expound on this a little bit. When does the swing begin?

My DD begins the swing too early, IMO. I like this position when foot is firmly on the ground. She is ready to launch the swing from here:

Point_of_Launch_I.png

Instead of what I typically see vs. live pitching. Foot is not yet 'firmly' on the ground, but she has begun to swing (notice bat angle). Below is vs. a live pitcher in a cage. I feel that she fails to get in the best launch position, ie, she begins the swing too soon:

(She also steps in vs. front toss and out vs. live pitching, but that's another issue.)

Point_of_Launch_II.png

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I make them wait to even move the front foot until they have to swing - the stride is result of the swing.

When you say wait to move the front foot, do you mean move it forward? FFS speaks of slow and early. You're saying wait. Perhaps you mean wait to commit or move out, not wait to unweight the front side (ie, load)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi