Time for a video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Straightleg - I have two questions for you. Is your daughter happy with her abilities? Are your other students happy with their abilities? If the answer to both questions is "yes", that is good enough for me. Every hitting site I have been on is loaded with numerous different philosophies (except for those that do not allow free expression, of course). Some are radically different. Some only a little. Some seem almost identical with the exception of the terminology. If the true answer was so simple, there wouldn't be so much debate about it, would there?

FP26
My dd is all smiles when she sails one over a fence. Not happy when she is to aggressive with the back arm, or does not turn the corner before she releases.
Does she like her mechanics, 100% yes. Her abilities, probably not. She is a perfectionist. She does her best playing and studying to be a nurse. Studying comes first and her swing practice time second.

Students I work with. I have quite a few signed homerun balls over fences from girls that are still in grade school. They come back every week or so, or they come back when their swing does not feel right.

I have a 10 year old, just turned 10, started to come to me when she was 8 turning 9... 62 lb girl.
She has took a ball all the way to a high school fence. Her dad said it went at least 130 feet in the air.

I so believe in the Bustos/Carrier swing. It has worked for so many.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You leave a bad taste on this site Fiveframe.

Your recall is failing also, the pic of my dd was from a tee session working on suggestions from this site and bbds, on fixing bat drag, which was successful, not bat whip, or pivot points.

Can someone name a part of the swing that is not a pass through point?

You were working on a matrix drill at the time.

Bold above .... that's the point ... the swing is about "movement". The movement should dictate the positions realized. Still photos of positions don't show 'movement'. On that we agree.

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. The problem we seem to be having is that she used to be a DBSW type hitter. We worked very hard on turning the barrel and now I feel we have overdone it. The problem she has is swinging under the ball. As you can see she has quite a big uppercut swing. It would be a beautiful swing if I were teaching her to golf. LOL. Anyway, the problem we now have is trying to get the bat on plane and keep it there. I've tried many cues but none seem to really work/stick especially in game situations. Can anyone come up with any ideas or tips to help her get the bat on plane and keep it there. All she does is swing up and out of it. The legs get real straight at finish and she finishes with the high golfer handset you see in the video. I'm not sure if it is a trigger problem or a sequencing problem or something else. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. The problem we seem to be having is that she used to be a DBSW type hitter. We worked very hard on turning the barrel and now I feel we have overdone it. The problem she has is swinging under the ball. As you can see she has quite a big uppercut swing. It would be a beautiful swing if I were teaching her to golf. LOL. Anyway, the problem we now have is trying to get the bat on plane and keep it there. I've tried many cues but none seem to really work/stick especially in game situations. Can anyone come up with any ideas or tips to help her get the bat on plane and keep it there. All she does is swing up and out of it. The legs get real straight at finish and she finishes with the high golfer handset you see in the video. I'm not sure if it is a trigger problem or a sequencing problem or something else. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Did I mention high tee? On an open field?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In reviewing the video in your original post, it looks like the tee is set kind of low. The ball appears to be approximately thigh high. If you like doing tee drills, I would suggest the high tee drill. Start by having the ball positioned 3 or 4 inches above her belly button. Focus on having her keep her hands above the ball during the swing, but repeat until she can consistently hit line drives with the ball in that position. When you are satisfied, lower the tee 3 or 4 inches and repeat. Keep working on this until the tee is knee level. Still focusing on line drives. You can use these gifs for a visual. Notice how his hands adjust to the pitch height.

2r5gits.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In reviewing the video in your original post, it looks like the tee is set kind of low. The ball appears to be approximately thigh high. If you like doing tee drills, I would suggest the high tee drill. Start by having the ball positioned 3 or 4 inches above her belly button. Focus on having her keep her hands above the ball during the swing, but repeat until she can consistently hit line drives with the ball in that position. When you are satisfied, lower the tee 3 or 4 inches and repeat. Keep working on this until the tee is knee level. Still focusing on line drives. You can use these gifs for a visual. Notice how his hands adjust to the pitch height.

2r5gits.jpg

Her hands are above the ball.

156se1f.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What is really puzzling me about the clip is that the movement of her lead arm appears to obscure her view of an incoming pitch. That's why I wondered if this was a drill for exaggeration. I can't see how this is a demonstration of an effective swing.

The excuse I’ve heard is that if she was pulling on an imaginary rope, with the other end of the rope anchored behind her, that she would be in an optimal position of strength to be pulling on that rope.

The fix is simple from my perspective. Realize that this is about swinging a bat effectively and drop the fantasy about pulling on an imaginary rope.

Jul 11, 2011
The excuse I’ve heard is that if she was pulling on an imaginary rope, with the other end of the rope anchored behind her, that she would be in an optimal position of strength to be pulling on that rope.

The fix is simple from my perspective. Realize that this is about swinging a bat effectively and drop the fantasy about pulling on an imaginary rope.

Thanks for the insight guys. I will begin working on high tee. The visuals were very helpful as well. FFS you say the fix is simple from your perspective. Can you elaborate on what you think that fix is? Thanks again guys.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Thanks for the insight guys. I will begin working on high tee. The visuals were very helpful as well. FFS you say the fix is simple from your perspective. Can you elaborate on what you think that fix is? Thanks again guys.

Leerph, I was responding to Eric, who was questioning Bustos example of leading with the rear elbow way out front. The fix there is simple ... don't do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g