Tilt for Rise and Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I started a little research to look for differences in posture for various spins after questioning my own opinion about body tilt for the rise and drop.

CO Drop.JPG

CORise.JPG

Look at the letters on the jersey--In the drop, they are angled down. In the rise, they are angled up... Also looks like the body is tilting differently right/left between the two.

I'm looking for other video of decent rise/drop pitchers to add to this. Please share links or cut/paste clips like above for comparison.

Thanks ahead,
Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Posted by FFS in the Model Pitchers thread:

Pauly Rollover:
whk6yc.gif

Rise:
j6pmhw.gif

May 9, 2014
New at this, hence the name, but it seems that the change in forward/backward posture is related more to the location than the type of spin. If you can find a good low rise, or even low curveball or screwball you would have a better basis for comparison. The difference in right/left tilt is interesting... were both pitches thrown to the same side of the plate? I don't know much about throwing a rise, but maybe a pitcher needs a little more room between the hip and arm to work fingers under the ball?? Great thread, hope you find lots of clips.

Dec 11, 2010
Say what you want about FFS, but he is a gif makin' mofo. That's good. And whoever put that stripe on the dugout is a genius.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Posted by FFS in the Model Pitchers thread:

Pauly Rollover:
whk6yc.gif

Rise:
j6pmhw.gif

Ken - Thanks for posting this as I must have looked over this one before. This is awesome and thanks to FFS for the original post!! Very helpful!!! Side note on this - my DD was pitching yesterday in a 1 day tourney and her riseball wasn't rising like it typically does. She had forgot to have a slight tilt (amazing what they forget sometimes) but once reminded it immediately returned and was her best pitch the remainder of the day (although not thrown enough :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes