Catcher Myth #53 Catchers Should Set up in a Low Stance For Drop or Drop Curve Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Catcher Myth #53 Catchers should set up in a low stance for drop or drop curve pitches.... Catchers that use a high-hip stance with runners on base are often coached or encouraged to change their stance when calling for a drop ball, drop curve or knuckle ball. The coach's thinking is logical enough, keep close to the ground to prevent pitches in the dirt from getting past you. The higher you are, the longer it takes you to get to the ground to block. Right? It's not that simple.

The most effective blocking technique (IMO) is for the catcher to drop straight down from stance and use their chest protector to block pitches in the dirt. Catchers that fall forward to block push the ball away from them from the forward momentum they develop as they fall forward. This is why we teach our catchers to drop straight down. They drive the pitch into the ground in front of them so as to recover the ball and throw would-be base stealers out. We see this from 10U to college age catchers.

As we look at video side by side clips of the same catcher, (BLOCKING COMPARISON CLIP) we see her blocking from a high hip runner-on pitcher on the right (made earlier this year) and a lower no-runner on stance to the left. (They have been using this stance for drop and drop curves per their comp coach) We timed "knees to ground" and "glove to ground" on both videos to compare the effectiveness of each blocking technique. The low-stance block took our catcher .40 seconds to get her knees planted and .53 seconds to get her glove to the ground to prevent a pitch in the dirt from getting past her. With the higher runner on stance, she took .36 seconds to plant her knees and .43 seconds to get her glove to the ground! She was faster to block yet further from the ground! Why?

A catcher in a low hip stance has to push up to rotate her torso to the proper blocking position. The hips have to rise as the feet tuck in. As they raise their hips and rotate, the glove is briefly suspended in the air until they start their body motion to the ground. The catcher in the higher runner on stance already has her torso in position to block! The glove can drop immediately since the catcher doesn't have to push up first. Thus it is actually faster to block drop balls, drop curves and knuckle balls from a higher stance!

We must also consider the safety risk of the catcher bringing their hand around their body to block these pitches. The hand is exposed to a bad hop or a foul tip that could result in broken fingers and torn ligaments. (We have seen it happen) Not to mention the "tell" that setting up differently for a specific causes. It will be very easy for the opposing team to figure out the pitch when the catcher sets up low and outside for one or two particular pitches.

Catchers who are in the process of learning and developing their blocking technique will miss some pitches in the dirt. Patience must be exercised by parents and coaches as it takes several months to recognize and block pitches in the dirt and have it become second nature. Once developed, let your catcher prove themselves before changing what has become second nature to them.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Every time I think I have a handle on this stuff, I get something else to consider given to me by the DFP masters!

Chaz, is there someone in Ohio who does what you do?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD had a coach(briefly) that insisted that she stand up to receive any pitch up out of the zone(he called them all "riseball")
A bucketfull of clever still doesn't add up to a drop of smart.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Fastpitch Softball Catchers Training - Megan Willis - YouTube

At 2:12 Megan Willis talks about catching Cat Osterman's nasty drop ball.

She says start really low when calling a drop... I respect both Chaz's and Megan's instruction.

As a bucket dad, what do I do now?

Or am is missing something. My daughter does a RO positon for drops like Chaz writes about by the way.

The video doesn't reference the runner situation or count. If it's a NR situation, setting up as low as possible is fine. If it's RO or 2K, I teach using an RO stance, and expect a high likelihood of a pitch in the dirt on a drop ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Fastpitch Softball Catchers Training - Megan Willis - YouTube

She says start really low when calling a drop... I respect both Chaz's and Megan's instruction.

As a bucket dad, what do I do now?

Or am is missing something. My daughter does a RO positon for drops like Chaz writes about by the way.

Megan may be a lot more attractive than Chaz or the NECC crew, but that doesn't mean her instruction is better. Just 3 quick examples from the linked video - she's teaching to pull pitches on receiving to try to deceive the umpire, to try and follow the ball with the glove on a ball in the dirt (i.e., catch it instead of block it), and her teaching for setting up at at a play at the plate will increase the potential for obstruction and/or injury. She's Megan Willis and you're just a bucket dad, but one of you does know better!

Feb 7, 2013
If the pitcher has a peel drop than it will not really go in the dirt, unless on purpose. That pitch is controlled well and does not move that much. If it is a rollover, which moves a lot, or the pitcher wants to throw it out of the zone, you may consider other options .

Where do you come up with this nonsense? Maybe not in your area, but I can assure you in every other part of the world, a good peel drop can and will drop just as much as any drop ball you can think of. Please think sometimes before you post misinformation.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City

Megan is a very successful player and an excellent catcher. You will find that there are many methods and styles that catchers use. I have not seen Megan use a runner on stance and prefers to get low with her knees on the ground and feet folded in. I have never seen her adjust her stance for runners on base. So she instructs from her perspective. (Get low stay low)

As GM pointed out, Megan's techniques have some safety issues as well as technical issues. This is why I won't instruct her methods for stances or receiving pitches. This article came about from a very proficient catcher of mine who's coach wanted her low on certain pitches with runners on base. Their thinking was low was closer to the ground so it should be easier to block. But because of how the catcher has to move their feet, hips and legs it was actually taking more time to get to block position from the lower stance. If your catcher uses a high hip runner's on stance, I would encourage them to use it for all pitches in runner's on circumstances.

PS, MW sponsored a local team for two seasons here in KC and spent some times with their catchers. Our catchers tended to do a better job when going head to head with hers. (Especially blocking)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00