Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Notice on the 'bad throw' how the lead foot lands square, curtailing the action that Hodge speaks of.

2roj47r.gif

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
The differences are quite significant.

n53mtv.gif

Results pretty spectacular. Gotta love it. No doubt about it.

In my response I worded this very poorly:

"The girl (who BTW I think he shows in other vids with awesome throwing power, at least I hope that is her) does seem to get her hand pretty far back behind her head and shift her weight to some degree from back to front, which sort of seems to be what Tewks is advocating."

I guess what I was thinking of was more along the lines of the poor example clip vs say a clip of Tewks doing his primary drill where he puts the ball behind his back and throws.

Roz

Jul 2, 2011
Does anyone have a link, or a suggestion as to where I might find the Hodge throwing drills that have been mentioned?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

IMO Hodge does not teach kids to throw the way this girl is throwing. He does not advocate bringing the ball up behind the head prior to the front thigh rolling over.

Girl throwing.jpg

He wants the throwing arm close to horizontal to the ground until the front thigh begins to roll over. IOW the rollover of the front thigh is what triggers the throwing arm into the "L" position.

"It's important that your stride leg dictate the rotation of your arms." -- Hodge

"If you bring your arm up before your thigh rolls over you've used all the elasticity. Now when you go to land and throw, you're already stretched out and it's going to hurt you." -- Hodge

Hodge would consider this girl's throw a case of premature external rotation of the throwing arm, which he considers to be a leading cause of shoulder injury.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish