Throwing the ball around after outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
My daughter's high school team does it after K's. Our travel team doesn't. A few times right after the high school season ended, my daughter threw it to 1B/3B after a K and almost took them out because they weren't ready for it.

Oct 13, 2017
From 14U (maybe 12U) and up you throw the ball around after an out with nobody on. Thats just the way it is. Always has been.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Umpires please explain defense throwing the ball around after outs and coming together in the circle. How is this handled in softball venues High School / College/ travel Ball ABC venues. Is it allowed not allowed, what time allowed for this?
thank you.

There is actually very little on this in the actual rules. I'm sure interpretations and case plays may add more to the subject.

NFHS, USA, USSSA, and NCAA are all rather similar. The catcher is required to return the ball to the pitcher except after a strikeout or a put out by the catcher, or when making a play on a runner. The penalty is a ball on the batter.

There is nothing specific on the fielders' obligations. There is nothing specific on the huddle, but I believe NFHS had this as a POE in the past. In general, it would fall under "delaying the game" which is pretty much under the direction and discretion of the umpire.

NCAA only: The huddle would fall under a charged player to player conference.

Banana-ball: The defense is allowed to putout a runner who has been awarded a base-on-balls provided ALL 9 defensive players touch the ball before the putout attempt. The runner may keep running without liability to be putout until ALL 9 (yes, even the outfield) have touched the ball. 😋

As for the purpose ... strikeouts are fascist. Throwing it around involves the team and attempts to keep the infielders awake. Personally, I like throwing to first rather than third, just because of UK3.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Watching 10u teams throw the ball around the horn must be a brutal spectator experience. Most 10u teams can't even remember a single bunt defense, they sure as hell are going to screw up throwing around the horn at a minimum 25% of the time on average.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD's team always throws it to first after K's..makes me cringe :ROFLMAO:
I don't cringe much but if someone drops the ball or worse yet, chucks into the outfield and it gets by the outfielder, I experience severe heartburn. Kinda like striking out looking with bases loaded and two out.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't cringe much but if someone drops the ball or worse yet, chucks into the outfield and it gets by the outfielder, I experience severe heartburn. Kinda like striking out looking with bases loaded and two out.
I meant throwing it to 1st rather than 3rd..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma