Throwing the ball around after outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
To me as an umpire it is just a waste of time…..something else to delay the game. We now have teams wanting to throw it a round the horn after a ground ball put out, and then come to a huddle at the mound. you are there to play the game, not celebrate every little out. Some time you see this in 70 minute timed game. What a waste of time. You don’t have to celebrate every play. Next thing you know they will be celebrating a dropped fly ball…..Oh sorry, they already do that.

I will agree and disagree ... for teams that can do it and do it properly, I don't really see much of a delay. It gives the pitcher and catcher time to reset, the retired batter time to get back to the dugout, and time for the new batter to get ready. It also shifts focus from the restless crowd during that "down time."

That said ... FOR TEAMS THAT CAN DO IT AND DO IT PROPERLY.

When the temperature is 90+ at 10am and there are 6 more games to go for the day, it is NOT time for you to teach your team how to do it. Practice that somewhere else and bring it back when you can do it. Yes, there are times I have stepped in an shut it down.

As for the huddle, that should be shut down at all times.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I'm good with the "collapsing horn" where the fielders cheat closer to the circle while the ball is going around. Shortens the throws, lessens the chances of the ball getting away. Usually 3rd base is the last one to touch it and is close enough to the pitcher to do their hand-glove-slappy thing, then it's back to work before the next batter has settled in.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
It is funny when kids are first trying to learn the routine. There's always someone who catches the ball and freezes holding the ball in the air, looks back and forth like they're watching a tennis match trying to figure out where throw next.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Funny you say that ... the local "minor league" team is taking a stab at Savanna Banana style baseball in a few weeks. One of their new rules is a penalty box for any player that makes an error! They have to come out for one batter and the defense has to play short-handed.
I feel sorry for the umpire on the next pitch if the catcher makes an error.

May 29, 2015
I feel sorry for the umpire on the next pitch if the catcher makes an error.

I’m not 100% certain how it is going to work out, but they said yes, the pitcher or catcher can be penalized. If that happens, a position player takes their place. I’m guessing they aren’t going to allow warmup pitches or changing catcher’s gear … maybe they just go stand at the backstop? But then what about the umpire?

That part sounds like something they haven’t fully thought through.

Jan 22, 2011
A couple of the tournaments my daughter played when she was in 16u banned huddles after outs.

So if it takes more than 20 seconds from when the catcher throws it to the first infielder until the pitcher throws the next pitch, could he call a ball?

May 29, 2015
A couple of the tournaments my daughter played when she was in 16u banned huddles after outs.

So if it takes more than 20 seconds from when the catcher throws it to the first infielder until the pitcher throws the next pitch, could he call a ball?

I was waiting for that question! The 20 seconds starts when the pitcher receives the ball. Beyond that, it is umpire discretion on the amount of time that is acceptable before a delay is considered.

And it isn’t “IF” … it DOES take more than 20 seconds. 😁

Jul 28, 2019
My DD’s 14u team does it on K’s and outs with no runners on base. The last national tournament a few weeks ago, the ump started getting pissy because he was hot(Georgia), and telling the girls to knock it off. We’re 80+ games deep in this season and that was the first time an ump called it out.

I don’t see a problem with it for multiple reasons:

1. It keeps the girls loose.
2. They’re quick at it and don’t waste much time.

3. 95% of the time the batter is still walking up to the box when they’re already done and walking back to their positions.

I can see if the team is air mailing the ball into left field or spending too much time talking about Taylor Swift in the circle, but if they’re quick and efficient then what’s the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi