Throwing the ball around after outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Umpires please explain defense throwing the ball around after outs and coming together in the circle. How is this handled in softball venues High School / College/ travel Ball ABC venues. Is it allowed not allowed, what time allowed for this?
thank you.

Jun 11, 2013
DD's team always throws it to first after K's..makes me cringe :ROFLMAO:
It actually makes a lot of sense. You get practice throwing to first and gets 1B involved. I never understood why you need a conference after every out though.

Jun 8, 2016
It actually makes a lot of sense. You get practice throwing to first and gets 1B involved. I never understood why you need a conference after every out though.
I know why they do it but
a) I am just not used to it (baseball you throw it to third..or that is the way it used to be at least) and
b) the kids are in HS..you shouldn't need to "Pavlov Dog" them in order to get them to throw it to first after a dropped third strike..

Jun 22, 2008
There is no rule about it on strike outs and put outs. Other than except for strikeouts and attempts to play on a runner the catcher must return the ball directly to the pitcher.

Some tournaments do have rules about huddling on the field on timed games.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In baseball growing up we typically did this on any out with no runners on base. I played 3rd primarily and enjoyed the process.

DD's teams never did this in softball until they got to 23u. One of the teams we played against did it, so our team started doing it to. But 23u is such a different type of game, that it was common place. Focus is more on reps than on winning or losing.

At 14u an opposing team tried to do it a couple of times. After sailing the ball into the outfield twice, the umpire met with the coach and asked him to stop his team from doing it again. We were winning, so we really didn't care, but during a timed game I could see it being an issue.

May 13, 2023
Yes it can be a way to control the pace of the game. And in a game with a time limit can be a way of controlling the clock. Either to throw it around or not.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's team throws it around on all outs with nobody on base...most of the teams we play do. Is this uncommon elsewhere??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi