Throwing the ball around after outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
The catcher or anyone else involved in throwing around the horn must be removed from the game if they throw the ball into the outfield after a strikeout. That should be the new rule adopted by all ABC organizations in travel ball. I don't mind throwing the ball around, just don't screw it up.

May 29, 2015
The catcher or anyone else involved in throwing around the horn must be removed from the game if they throw the ball into the outfield after a strikeout. That should be the new rule adopted by all ABC organizations in travel ball. I don't mind throwing the ball around, just don't screw it up.

Funny you say that ... the local "minor league" team is taking a stab at Savanna Banana style baseball in a few weeks. One of their new rules is a penalty box for any player that makes an error! They have to come out for one batter and the defense has to play short-handed.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Personally, I like throwing to first rather than third, just because of UK3.

I'm sure it's done differently everywhere, but what I've seen most is a throw to first when a RH batter Ks and a throw to third when a LH batter Ks. Guessing it's just because the catcher doesn't have a retired batter blocking the path if they do it that way.

I think I'm going to try to get my HS girls to do this, but the first time a ball sails into the outfield they can finish the game without me because I'm going to go hide in my car in shame until it's over.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
To me as an umpire it is just a waste of time…..something else to delay the game. We now have teams wanting to throw it a round the horn after a ground ball put out, and then come to a huddle at the mound. you are there to play the game, not celebrate every little out. Some time you see this in 70 minute timed game. What a waste of time. You don’t have to celebrate every play. Next thing you know they will be celebrating a dropped fly ball…..Oh sorry, they already do that.

May 13, 2023
To me as an umpire it is just a waste of time…..something else to delay the game. We now have teams wanting to throw it a round the horn after a ground ball put out, and then come to a huddle at the mound. you are there to play the game, not celebrate every little out. Some time you see this in 70 minute timed game. What a waste of time. You don’t have to celebrate every play. Next thing you know they will be celebrating a dropped fly ball…..Oh sorry, they already do that.
Yes it can be a way to control the pace of the game. And in a game with a time limit can be a way of controlling the clock. Either to throw it around or not.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Next thing you know the players will be celebrating an Intentional Walk. Oh sorry, Oklahoma already does that. Certainly worthy of a bat flip or bat slam.

May 13, 2021
What about throwing it around after a strike out or celebrating at home plate after a home run. I am for letting people have a little fun, it is a game and suppose to be fun for the people playing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi