Throwing strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DWB

May 27, 2014
My DD has nice motion, and has exceptional velocity for an 11 year old. But she has a problem throwing strikes. Usually misses just inside, just high - is always around the strike zone but just can't seem to pound it. Any drills, games, etc. that focus just on the ability to hit spots - in this case, the middle of the strike zone?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Form comes first. With good form--speed is a natural byproduct. Practicing good form develops control.

I like the story of the AC's daughter who was struggling in an inning with three walks in a row. Mgr asked for a visit with the pitcher. After a quick chat, the two were seen laughing as he left the circle. The pitcher, wearing sunglasses, had a big smile on her face as the next batter stepped into the box--with bases loaded and 2 outs. The AC asked the Mgr what was said to her and he said, "Watch." She struck out the next batter in three pitches, ending the inning.

When the team came in, the AC asked his kid what the Mgr told her. She said, "He told me to pitch with my eyes closed!"

While I don't recommend kids go out and pitch with their eyes closed, I appreciate the point made to trust her form. Learning and using good form makes control much, much easier.

Read the I/R in the Classroom and Drive Mechanics threads, along with anything you can find that talks about "forearm brush" or "brush interference." A kid who adds forearm brush to a decent drive, whip and release posture, will be amazed at how easily control is achieved.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here's a few accuracy games:

Best of 10
For beginners, throw 10 pitches and keep track of strikes per ten. Keep track and try to improve.

Step Backs
Start at about 2/3’s distance. You earn a step back if you hit the zone 2 out of 3 times. A step is about a yard. If you fail to get 2 out of 3 twice, you start over. Keep track of the max distance (steps) for next time. The zone will expand as they move back. For new or younger ones, I count anything that the catcher doesn’t need to fall off the bucket to catch as they get closer to their max. Encourage them to use more and more of their lower body as the get farther and farther back.

Four Corners
Count how many pitches it takes to hit the four corners

Pretend Innings
Pitch 2-3 innings and keep track of walks, K’s and (hopefully not) runs. As she improves, it’s not enough to hit the strike zone. When she’s ready, have her make it a little more realistic by chatting about: the batter she’s facing, the count, runners, etc., so she’s thinking about her strategy. Keep track of the stats and try to improve them in future sessions. You might also set up a tee or net and take some swings in between innings and take a moment to chat.

Bunny on a Bucket (Ball on a Tee)
Take an appropriately sized stuffed animal or ball and set it on tee or bucket. In the beginning, count how many pitches it takes to knock the bunny/ball off. As they improve, count how many times in ten pitches they knock it off. This is a really fun one for two or more kids (or parents/coaches.) You can also include catchers by having them set up in their stance and snap throw.

All this assumes she's using decent form. It does no good to ingrain poor mechanics with lots of reps. I understand it can be hard during mid-season, but I think it's important to look long term if you can.

Ken

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
There is a certain irony with new pitchers that they spend so much time trying to throw strikes down the middle and once perfected, work on NOT throwing strikes down the middle:)

I like what Ken posted. A couple of things:

- get a competent pitching coach if at all possible, this is money well spent.

- using good mechanics, practice 3x a week, basically year-round.

- do what I like to call "sequences" at the end of every single practice. She has to strikeout 5 imaginary batters before she is done. A walk starts the count over again. This is a great way for her to be focused and motivated to hit her spots. My DD has done this every practice for the last 4+ years. One of my favorite drills.

- She needs to learn how to self-adjust. For example, if she is throwing high she needs to release the ball earlier, etc. Accurate pitchers do a great job of recognizing why they didn't hit their spot and make the necessary adjustment on the next pitch.

- She needs circle time. Very critical to learning how to be accurate and secondly to handle game pressure so it doesn't effect her mechanics.

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint and the changes will happen gradually over time. Lisa Fernandez tells a great story how she walked 17 batters the first time she pitched and her goal the next game was to only walk 16 batters, etc. This is the right attitude to have when learning how to pitch. Patience, patience, patience. Those bruises on your shins don't last very long....

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
While I don't recommend kids go out and pitch with their eyes closed, I appreciate the point made to trust her form. Learning and using good form makes control much, much easier.

DS had a pitching coach once who had him pitch with his eyes closed. The point was, if you control the head, you control the ball. It may be my imagination, but some of DD's better pitches seem to come when she's looking at the ground instead of the catcher.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The drills KenB gave are great...but, let me ask you something:

DWB, could you please tell me the exact location of "the middle of the strike zone"? Exactly how far above the ground is "the middle of the strike zone"? Can you also tell me exactly where top of the strike zone is?

This should be easy: Tell me the location of the outside of the strike zone? How about the inside of the strike zone? How many times have you ever seen a softball umpire at any level call the official rule book strike zone consistently throughout a game? I bet at your DD's level of play, *no umpire* calls the official strike zone at any time during the game.

So, what you are doing is asking your DD to learn how to do something that is useless. You might as well teach her how to spin plates.

Here is what I've seen a million times: A little girl throws a pitch to the first batter (4' 0") and gets a strike. She throws the exact same pitch to the next batter (5'2") and it is a ball. The pitcher gets confused, and she has a melt down.

At your DD's age, the size of the girls varies tremendously. It is more difficult for your DD to "throw strikes" at 12U then at 18U. (My DD pitched 18U at 13YOA. She actually pitched much better at 18U than at 14U...because the batters were taller and about the same size at 18U.)

You have to teach your DD how to move the ball around the plate, and then she'll be able to "throw strikes". You work with her on throwing to the left side of the plate, and then to the right side of the plate, then up, and then down.

You alternate pitches...have her throw one pitch to the left, then the next to the right, etc., until she can consistently do it. Then, do the same thing up and down. When she can do that, then start moving the mitt around the plate and have her adjust to the location of the mitt.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Here's another... that I find really helpful for YOUNGER pitchers that are in the process of learning control:

At 20-25 feet:
  1. Bucket parent gets off bucket... ;) stands and positions glove at center of torso.
  2. Pitcher visualizes a pitch to target... first.
  3. Pitcher back-chains arm to 9:00... and whips the ball to target - palm-up, lead with pinky, etc...
  4. On release, pitcher finishes with a LOW (lower than belly-button) follow-through.
  5. On successful pitch to location (which is the entire torso), pitcher is asked to repeat the same 'feeling at release'. Telling them: "That is what a good pitch should feel like".
  6. Pitcher is given 10 attempts... when they successfully hit 7 of 10...

At 35-43 feet:
Repeat all steps... but back-chain to Show-It (12 o'clock position).

Once they hit the 'zone' at least 7 of 10 times...

At Regular Distance:
Pitch with an easy and relaxed full-motion... repeating all steps.

Once this relaxed full pitch is controlled... have them gradually build on their tempo & effort.

Couple of things to remember:

• Young pitchers need to consistently control their entire motion... to consistently control their pitches.
  • Young pitchers benefit greatly from a consistent follow-through that is LOW and TO the target.
  • Remember... GOOD MECHANICS COME FIRST. Make sure the I/R motion is correct before working on control. As BM wonderfully stated... learn to TOSS the ball (play catch) CORRECTLY, before learning to 'pitch'.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Sluggers makes an excellent point, every hitter's strike zone is different. If she's "just missing" to every hitter, have you considered that the problem may be mental and not mechanical?

"Mechanically," one thing I do with my baseball pitchers is to get rid of the plate, and as sluggers suggests, have them throw to the mitt. I will intentionally set up two feet off where the plate would be, and have them throw to that spot. You can even take a small square of athletic tape and put it in the mitt, and ask them to throw to that spot rather than the whole mitt.

Mentally, you can have her pitch batting practice, and make every pitch a belt-high fastball down the middle. She's going to get tagged, but she will also notice that most balls get hit right at somebody. If she trusts her defense, she will throw fewer pitches. More balls in play also means your defense stays awake and in the game. Now, if her defense was anything like mine when I was pitching, she will be in trouble. I had to become a strikeout pitcher, because a ball in play meant a baserunner.

Oct 31, 2011
Atlanta
Throwing strikes is a challenge for every pitcher. At 11 it could be mechanical and it could be mental. I would encourage her to work on her breathing between pitches as a good way to keep her calm and focused. Deep breathes and a little positive self talk can go along ways towards helping a pitcher throw strikes!

--John Michael Kelly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd