Throwing sidearm... and then?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
I tend to focus on three reference positions with the younger hitters:

1) Setup (grip and stance),
2) Toe touch,
3) Contact.

I use RVP and will certainly work with hitters to correct flaws at any of the traditional points but, as I've tried to point out in this thread, when it comes to weight transfer and hip movement, many of the kids I've worked with seem to do it well naturally with a sidearm throw. Translating that into something they incorporate into their swing is a different matter. I find doing "matrix" style progrressions helpful for working with the kids on upper body and swing plane issues. I haven't been very successful using them to try and teach lower body movements.

Sep 17, 2009
I'm typically working with 2-3 girls at a time, who range in age from eight to thirteen, in ten minute stints as they rotate through stations. In a typical session, I'll see each group of girls twice.

For the younger kids this is often the first formal hitting instruction they've received so there's an element of mass production here... intent is to efficiently instill a decent starting point. We don't have the luxury of 45 minute one on ones.

Whatsup, I've mentioned this elsewhere might be useful for you. I was in your shoes for years, trying to teach a whole team an approach to hitting in a combination of 1) group settings, 2) short stints of individual time during team practices. It's tough as you describe.

This off-season we took five weeks and scheduled half-hour one-on-one sessions (like you'd get if you paid for a hitting instructor). It was the best thing we ever did. The girls learned and progressed rapidly, and we had a foundation we could go back to when we inevitably had to slide back into normal team practices.

We did four hours Sunday night, two hours Monday night to accommodate schedules. We did it in late Nov./early Dec. and otherwise gave the kids the month off--no team practices. They and their parents just had to commit to a half hour per week. Easy for them, a lot of work for me and another coach, but a huge payoff.

I was skeptical we could pull it off but really glad we did and highly recommend it for folks who try to coach hitting to entire teams at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877