Throwing Motion Soreness

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2015
Younger DD (14yo) has been experiencing soreness in the back of her armpit (and wraps around about an inch onto her back). Only does this during her warmup when throwing overhand She is a pitcher and was coming off of a 3-week shutdown from pitching/throwing. NO PAIN when pitching underhand. Has been pitching since 9U and have always given her adequate time off pitching/throwing over the years to not have issues.

So just curious if anybody has experienced this soreness (in this location) and any recommendations. This issue started up the night she went back to her pitching lesson. During this lesson, we do a good stretch and warm-up. Only having some pain during initial warm-up and throwing overhand. Underhand no issues and also no pain otherwise.

Apr 16, 2013
A sports doc is obviously the person to ask. I'm not a sports doc so my thoughts are purely opinion. "IMHO", there are two things I think it could be. First, the back side of the deltoid is the muscle that takes all the force of deceleration with an overhand throw. If she's just getting back into throwing after taking the winter off and did a big session a day or two ago, it's very normal to feel sore there. Second, was she taught to "flick" the ball with the L shaped arm? You know, "throw like a girl". That's a very bad throwing motion and can lead to shoulder and elbow issues. Whenever I see girls being taught that I cringe a little.

There are a hundred different things that could cause it, so again, make a simple apt with a sports doc if it's an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles