Throwing Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just watch a person male or female throw and you can probably tell that it doesn't look right to your eye if done incorrectly.I too obsess on how someone throws mainly my DD.I want her to throw right and instruct her to throw like a baseball pitcher.I tell my DD to have the ball face 3rd base (rh) not back to 2nd base.Every time we practice softball pitching we spend a good 15 to 20 min on just overhand throwing with me always voicing instructions or corrections.Also work in long toss as she gradually moves back away from me into the outfield.Kids need to be taught the correct way to throw because they spend to much time indoors on computers,video games and texting...ect. It's hard to teach someone to throw correctly. I know how to throw but teaching each move I make and why is a another story. Was watching a dad working with his DS on throwing as I walk around a track.I felt sorry for the kid because dad had him throwing like you would shoot a basketball as they did long toss.He was mad because the kid was having trouble reaching dear old dad in the air.

Jan 24, 2011
The whole reason I have become interested in this is because my DD has a terrible (almost unwatchable , LOL) throwing motion. She has an accurate (but not strong arm) and never has ever really had any arm / shoulder pain. I never really taught her how to throw (big mistake). I basically just let her throw the way she threw naturally. Now , I am wanting to reconstruct a good throwing motion. When doing some research , I came across many examples of many coaches doing it a particular way. Then , I started to read some things on this site that were negative towards those methods. Now , not sure which way to go. Going to have to do some more studying I guess

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Are there any high level coaches that are scrapping the "old" way of throwing and changing to some of the stuff presented by Chris? If not , why would that be? I have been to a lot of college camps and clinics and pretty much everyone teaches the "Candrea way" (for a lack of a better term). If girls are being taught to throw this way , when / where would it be possible for a major shift in instruction take place? Sorry for all the questions , but I have suddenly becoming very interested in this subject. Here are a few things on throwing that I found with just a quick search.

How to Improve Your Softball Throwing Form | Active.com

Throwing clinic discussion and analysis of correct throwing mechanics and how the Throwmax helps.

Softball Throwing - Upper Body Mechanics - YouTube

How to Throw a Softball - YouTube

Throwing tip #1 - YouTube

Some quick thougts on these clips....

#2, It's utterly critical for the elbow to be above the shoulder, but in your 1 example of "good" the kid in the pic doesn't do this? Really? Are you even trying?

#3 I've tried to watch some of this guy's other stuff. He's just utterly awful. I'm sorry but when he does the bird it makes me think of this guy. But he does raise one very good point, IMO, to keep everything loose. The reason I don't like showing the ball to 2nd is that the entire forearm gets tight. I never felt this when throwing and so I knew immediately that it was wrong.

#4 I don't really have a problem with this one. I don't think it's a coincidence either that the coach and girl look like athletes. They say hi elbow but demo it at a good level.

#5 The guy brings the ball back like that? Gong, next. That's exactly what I don't want and see too much of with girls who are taught that's it's important to be in that position but it's not important how you get there. It is.

Not trying to sound entirely combative. You make great points Cyclone, I am going to go search for more throwing clips that I like. There have to be some right!!? But hey Chris counts, you've got his site for an alternative.

Oct 12, 2009

Does this spark any comments?

He was doing great until he talked about keeping the hand on top of the ball.

Why is it so important?

In truth, hand on top of the ball can create problems in baseball players. The problems are probably less of an issue in softball, but why risk it?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
cyclone,
One thing that has been pointed out to me is that some girls don't throw off a flexed front knee.Some girls keep the front leg straight.I try and make sure my DD throws on a flexed front knee landing on the ball of her front foot at a 45 degree angle.Land on her toes then plant her heel as she throws.I like M.Candrea's video on throwing just try and make sure DD points ball th 3rd base(rh) not 2nd base.Also like C.O'Leary's write up on Proper Throwing.Throwing is hitting and hitting is throwing.So I've heard and been told.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
fvii5t.gif

Noticed this from FiveFrame over in the model fielding thread. Elbow below the shoulders. Comments?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd