Throwing Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Here's how Jeff Suppan actually throws a 90MPH fastball.

Public_JeffSuppan_TB_001_60FPS_155-188_R.gif

This is what I teach.

I think it's crazy to teach a kid -- male or female -- to throw any other way, especially when there's no justification for that other way or evidence that good throwers actually throw that other way and there is evidence that that other way leads to elbow problems in baseball pitchers.

But maybe that's just me.

Chris,

If you go to frame 30 & 31 on your gif, you can see he is not pointing the ball towards 3rd. It's not quite 2nd either, but probably closer to the SS.

I will say that I stopped teaching the pointing to 2nd after I read your site and posts. I do tell my kids to point towards 3rd.

Jan 31, 2011
I need some help with a question I have on throwing mechanics...I respect all of the above opinions, but I truly feel the "proper" throwing mechanics of bringing the elbow up is very hard to break as they get older. I look at most all of the Model Fielding videos by FFS and the vast majority of the infielders do not bring their elbow up because they don't have the time. I have coached kids that cannot keep up with the faster game as they get older because they take too much time to release the ball. Obviously, the outfielders and their great big wind-up for the crow hop is different than what I am saying.

Just like to get other's opinion on this. We (14U age) are working mainly on improving quickness.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I need some help with a question I have on throwing mechanics...I respect all of the above opinions, but I truly feel the "proper" throwing mechanics of bringing the elbow up is very hard to break as they get older. I look at most all of the Model Fielding videos by FFS and the vast majority of the infielders do not bring their elbow up because they don't have the time. I have coached kids that cannot keep up with the faster game as they get older because they take too much time to release the ball. Obviously, the outfielders and their great big wind-up for the crow hop is different than what I am saying.

Just like to get other's opinion on this. We (14U age) are working mainly on improving quickness.

Time to work on the sidearm throw. It can be done without having to stand up, wind up, and then throw. Just pull the ball from the glove, take it back behind the elbow, and throw while standing up. Field the ball just inside the glove side foot, plant the throwing side foot as the hands separate, step toward target and throw. Glove side arm and shoulder go up and back, throwing arm should be at same angle as overhand throw, but with the forearm more horizonal instead of vertical because of the bend at the hips. You may not be able to throw as hard as overhand, but you can get rid of the ball ALOT quicker.

Hope that makes sense, if not you can just take them to the lake and teach them how to skip rocks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd