throwing mechanics - correct hand position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

As far as the glove, I wouldn't teach point glove but to use the elbow as your site. As far as pulling the glove in or down to the hip in my opinion that is a style. If there was only one way to use your glove every pitcher in the major leagues would be the same.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think there's some good info here, you just need to apply what's appropriate for the student's level, whatever that is.

I find that younger kids (9U) are not so focused and need more obvious cues and/or exaggerated motions. That's why I make it a point to tell them to be sideways to the target, point at it with the glove, and "show the ball to the wall" (behind them), then step and throw, incorporating the swimming motion as they do so. I also have them work on several throwing drills starting with wrist flips, sitting cross-legged and practicing the swimming motion, throwing from one knee (one of the best, IMHO) and the "crane".

After they get this it's an easy step to modify to "shoulder to target" and holding ball away from ear (like the Whatley pic. above), but that isn't necessarily necessary to absorb in the same season.

I have seen that when girls try the latter too soon, they start the throw correctly but in an instant they turn their body forward and flip off a pie-like throw, leading with their elbow. It happens so quickly that they believe they're doing it right.

I believe that the more girls I get through to at 9U, the less shot putting I'll see at 12U.

Jul 29, 2008
Best over hand throwers in the world. Analysis

Yes, but pitching and fielding to throw out a 2.7 second slapper are two different animals. Our girls don't have the luxury of a full-bodied weighted throw most of the time.

Does Watley "show the ball"? No, but she is a top echelon player whose position requires some make shift side arm throws.

I think to TEACH good throwing mechanics to younger girls, you have to start with the "90 degree, show the ball, elbow point". They'll adjust to their specific position when they are older.

I have a 13yo with tremendous arm speed. When she starts complaining on shoulder pain or elbow pain, it's time to go back to basics.

3949_SRC.jpg

May 12, 2008
yes, But Pitching And Fielding To Throw Out A 2.7 Second Slapper Are Two Different Animals. Our Girls Don't Have The Luxury Of A Full-bodied Weighted Throw Most Of The Time.

need To Understand The Goal Is A Whip Starting At The Hip And Finishing With The Arm. this Can Be Done Very Quickly Or Not So Quickly Depending On Your Time Constraints. compare Everything To The Linked Clips.

May 12, 2008
I think to TEACH good throwing mechanics to younger girls, you have to start with the "90 degree, show the ball, elbow point". They'll adjust to their specific position when they are older.

I don't doubt you may be able to teach good throwing mechanics but the above information is inadequate in that I can get in that position and still stink in terms of throwing mechanics. I see lots of girls who look awful from that point. This is why I show them a video of what good mechanics look like. Once they have good whipping arm action figured out we can work on speeding it up, throwing from the ear, throwing side arm etc. And I would NEVER teach a kid to show the ball to the centerfielder, touch the wall etc. Because that's not what I see elite throwers doing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Mark- I knew you were a great resource for hitting info, I'm glad to see that it doesn't stop there!

Question- at what age are you having girls study video clips? I've been thinking that would be especially helpful for hitting and throwing. My 13 y.o. loves the game, is very coachable, but glazes over when I start showing her video clips. If I'm not there watching with her, any clips I e-mail her she looks at no more than once.

thanks!

May 12, 2008
Give her a side by side with an elite hitter, thrower or pitcher synced to contact or release respectively and ask her what she sees. Then it's personal. I think it's always good to have a youngster emulating the elite rather than you or me...unless you happen to be elite. :) I think this, besides good genes, is why you often see sons of MLB players make the majors. They spend their short pants years around and watching the best players in the world and that's who they emulate.

Thank you for the kind words.

May 7, 2008
To follow up on Ken's comment re Hartwig - she isn't the only one, of course. Heather Tarr (among others) emphasizes "elbows equal and opposite" at the break up to shoulder height, both wrists relaxed ("goose neck") - which results in showing the ball down initially, not out or back. In creating the whip as the throw progresses by leading with the back elbow, the ball will pass through a spot that is about 45 degrees or so to the power line - not so much back to the wall like we used to hear.

I find in working with 12s-14s that this is much more natural, relaxing, and dynamic. The equal and opposite elbows help them find the power line with their bodies. Showing the ball down and letting the ball flow naturally in the whipping motion eliminates a tendency to sometimes get a "stopping" point in the motion in kids showing the ball to the wall.

One problem area for the smaller kids in showing the ball down with a relaxed wrist is that they feel like they're going to the drop the ball because their hands are small. Practicing mechanics with a smaller ball (e.g., baseball) sometimes lets them feel the proper motion, and they can take that to the regular ball with more confidence.

Jul 29, 2008
I don't doubt you may be able to teach good throwing mechanics but the above information is inadequate in that I can get in that position and still stink in terms of throwing mechanics. I see lots of girls who look awful from that point.

I agree with you completely, there is so much more to throwing than that. It was just partly a good jumping point in getting some of these rec ballers out of side arming.

I think this, besides good genes, is why you often see sons of MLB players make the majors. They spend their short pants years around and watching the best players in the world and that's who they emulate.

Again, oh so true, and not fair! My DH and DD are very gifted when it comes to throwing. Me? Not so much. DD passed me at 11 yo. The lady who gave her life, has been her "private instructor" since she was 4, and is the taxi/bank, just gets laughed at now. She comes to all of my games too and usually has some comment like- turn your hips, snap your wrist more, blah, blah. Not fair.

On another note, I don't have the software for the side by side comparison, but we study her games, tee work, and even some practices at least once a month. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "OMG, I didn't know I do that." With a camera, I can pull still shots of her and pro's off the internet to compare. It works for us too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying