Practice / Drill / Training Ideas for OF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
There's another I like that I made up (surely not the first though) I call the "bomb drill." I chuck one way out there and they have to get to it and position themselves so that it drops right beside them. No attempt to catch it, and the closer it lands the better. I do it with shorter distances too. It's helped them focus on tracking and positioning, without the stress of thinking about catching it.

Just watching it can be hilarious. Some of them are 10ft to the side the first few times, but some others will get so close they have to pull their leg in at the last moment.

Jan 22, 2011
One practice in 10u we used an ATEC pitching machine for flyballs. We had each player time getting to the ball to catch it on one bounce. Had them do it 5 times, then went back to them catching it on the fly. It helped improve the tracking of the ball, similar to @PJR202 's drill.

I'm helping coach a middle school team this fall. I'm going to try @PRJ202 's drill.

Oct 14, 2020
There's another I like that I made up (surely not the first though) I call the "bomb drill." I chuck one way out there and they have to get to it and position themselves so that it drops right beside them. No attempt to catch it, and the closer it lands the better. I do it with shorter distances too. It's helped them focus on tracking and positioning, without the stress of thinking about catching it.

Just watching it can be hilarious. Some of them are 10ft to the side the first few times, but some others will get so close they have to pull their leg in at the last moment.
Doing this one for sure!

Thanks for the other replies, we have a lot to work with!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Learn to catch any ball that she can’t comfortably get under with one hand. One hand stuff needs to be a part of every practice she has. All INF and OF need to learn how/when to use one hand. It’s a gamechanger
"Two hands!"
They have been taught two hands for 4 years and now it's time for a change. It must be coached/practiced. Over and over. Seen 12u 1st basemen catching with two hands. It's not a good look.

Oct 14, 2020
"Two hands!"
They have been taught two hands for 4 years and now it's time for a change. It must be coached/practiced. Over and over. Seen 12u 1st basemen catching with two hands. It's not a good look.
This is undoubtedly true. Not enough girls (or boys) goofing around with the little games that give you glove skills at an early age.

Jan 25, 2022
One practice in 10u we used an ATEC pitching machine for flyballs. We had each player time getting to the ball to catch it on one bounce. Had them do it 5 times, then went back to them catching it on the fly. It helped improve the tracking of the ball, similar to @PJR202 's drill.

I'm helping coach a middle school team this fall. I'm going to try @PRJ202 's drill.
I like this one too. May try it next time we get the machine out. Great thing about not having any kids play travel is that we can get out and try new things. Finding something that clicks for them quickly is pretty valuable when the rest if the team starts showing up in February.

Sep 19, 2018
Has anyone tried bringing a nerf football and having player line up like a receiver? my DD would love getting to be the quarterback. Side Note: Roger Clemens and Andy Petite used to get their running in being the receiver.

This is undoubtedly true. Not enough girls (or boys) goofing around with the little games that give you glove skills at an early age.
I don't think our children have enough unstructured physical play time. For my children, as soon as it is their choice of play, they go to E devices.

Aug 12, 2014
Learn to catch any ball that she can’t comfortably get under with one hand. One hand stuff needs to be a part of every practice she has. All INF and OF need to learn how/when to use one hand. It’s a gamechanger

You have to teach one handed catching? I'd be thrilled if my players would use two hands :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802