Throwing hand behind glove? Why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
I think fastpitch catching instruction should differ from baseball catching instruction because the angle at which the ball is thrown. Yes there are times to use the chest protector but there is a time to pick it too. The Best catchers can do both. Teaching catchers to only block is giving up free bases.
Have you ever caught before? What would be the difference in training that you would advocate for?

If you are losing bases because of a catcher blocking the ball you don't understand the game or the position. Its the pitchers fault and properly trained catchers can recover with lightning speed

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Opened up a can of worms about dirt pitch techniques.
There are both blocking and fielding of dirt pitches.

This story actually came from watching a catcher cleanly field dirt pitches while other catchers had the ball bounce away from them trying to block with glove between legs and hand behind glove.
Two catchers however used their gloves. The catchers fielded there dirt pitches and transitioned directly into her throw. Successfully.

This discussion , for me anyway, is not about wether to block or field. Both are used.

People may discuss about what mechanic or philosophy to apply.
People may choose to debate what you may like or not on philosophy of how to play the dirt pitch...

THE POINT IS REALLY
*He didnt say dont use your glove!
He said
"Put your hand behind glove so it doesnt get hurt!

If you field cleanly, transition quickly...its a good thing!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I believe that the infielder often (not always) has a chance to 'choose' the hop or at least make adjustments that won't put the throwing hand in jeopardy. taking into account the number of pitches in the dirt, the average infielder has a much smaller chance of an injury to an un protected throwing hand.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think we really need to consider the possibility that this particular coach didn't know what he was talking about.
Its one of those comments that players hear and say WHAT?
Nice to not want players to get injured tho!

...Then after catching drills.
They broke into bucket type drills with short hops.
Guess What?
Two hands fielding transitioning on top!
It was fine and dandy to get hand in the glove!

May 23, 2015
I think you are saying. It worked 50 years ago and still works today.
Thats definitely safe to say. My dad taught me when I was 8. He was a retired catcher. Maybe even 75 years ago

It ain't a secret. I love my hands and I will protect them. I will also have a stern talk with my pitcher when they take advantage of my excellent blocking skills. I won't let them go to the well too many times unless I call that pitch

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DD has transitioned to picking for most balls in the dirt. However, I'm a believer that a catcher should have all the tools, and understand when to use them.
Thats nice to read! 👍