Throwing hand behind glove? Why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
With the quality of the catcher's mitts these days, see no reason not to focus on picking a bunch!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Woohoo lateral and horizontal range!
Field & Fire wild pitches!
ZAP !
RAD POP TIMES !
GO DEFENSE !

radness

Dec 13, 2019
A catchers job is not to field a bad pitch its to stop it.
CATCHERS JOB IS control the pitch,
dirt or otherwise,
AND CONTROL THE RUNNERS!
Makes fielding the pitch and transitioning to throw a fantastic skill to use!
Catchers are a defensive player behind the plate!

While blocking and fielding of dirt pitches are used.
The responsibilty is to not let runners advance or take giant lead offs.
Not only control the ball when it gets to the catcher...control the runners and get outs!

Pop times clock starts when the pitch touches/reaches the catcher.
(glove or body)
Fielding dirt pitches to throw can be quicker than blocking to then pick up the ball. Because there is zero downtine in transition to throw, with the pitch not bouncing off the catcher.

Choose the philosophy/mechanic of your choice!
Field the dirt pitch transition and throw.
or
Block it, find it (cuz it can/does roll away) pick it up and throw.

Catching mechanics are
an important factor in the game.
Runners should take notice of what the catcher is doing as well!!!

ZAP!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Once again I'm not sure what we're arguing about. I thought the question wasn't about blocking vs. picking, it was about throwing hand placement while blocking.

Getting your throwing hand behind the glove helps create an even "blocking surface" by allowing both arms to become pinned to your side. If you've dropped to block, and your throwing hand is hanging up in the air somewhere, then you're giving up ~4" of blocking surface since your arm is no longer at your side. Unless the "hand in front" advocates are saying that both elbows would still be pinned? Any pictures available of this technique?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Once again I'm not sure what we're arguing about. I thought the question wasn't about blocking vs. picking, it was about throwing hand placement while blocking.

Getting your throwing hand behind the glove helps create an even "blocking surface" by allowing both arms to become pinned to your side. If you've dropped to block, and your throwing hand is hanging up in the air somewhere, then you're giving up ~4" of blocking surface since your arm is no longer at your side. Unless the "hand in front" advocates are saying that both elbows would still be pinned? Any pictures available of this technique?
Thanks for bringing this back. Also note that the inside soft part of your arms should be exposed to block the ball. Not the outside. Lots of seam marks on DD's arms in the early days.

I have seen lateral blocking position being taught two different ways. The first way to block in a U shape going left or right so the ball get blocked towards the front of the plate. The other ways is move in a straight line left or right. I prefer to teach U shape.

In addition, if you have runners advancing or moving on blocked pitchers this is when your catchers need to become proficient at knee throwing. As weird as this sounds, my DD is more accurate throwing from her knees. When she stands and throws she is more likely to throw it into CF. She is 5'10" which means she needs to be throwing downhill if she stands up.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

I wasnt talking about blocking:)
That got brought up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478