Throwing drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
When you break your hands during the stride form an 'L' with both the throwing hand and the glove hand, and keep the arms horizontal to the ground with the palms facing down to slightly out away from the body. Pause in this position. You should be balanced and be on the ball of your front foot. Do a bunch of these until you get comfortable getting the arms into the correct position...The throw is actually triggered from a horizontal forearm position and not a vertical forearm position.

I don't know about softball players, but this causes elbow and shoulder problems in baseball players.

Oct 12, 2009
I teach my C's and IF's, both boys and girls, to throw basically like Yadier Molina does in this clip (which is a snap throw down to 1B)...

Molina_001.gif

1. Get sideways to the target.
2. Ball to the ear.
3. Rotate and throw.

Here's a video clip of my younger son doing a crow hop, which is what I teach my OFers, both boys and girls, to use...

Video_Throwing_Ian_CrowHop_06252008_001.gif

His little sister can do a pretty good approximation of this (which is the benefit that accrues to younger kids).

You'll notice no showing the ball to CF in either clip.

I will say that I am seeing more and more baseball catchers show the ball to the ump. However, this doesn't do anything good and at a minimum reduces their pop time and in the worst case can lead to elbow problems. Molina sometimes practices showing the ball to the ump on his practice throws, but he clearly doesn't actually do this on his money throws (because it's too slow).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I teach my C's and IF's, both boys and girls, to throw basically like Yadier Molina does in this clip (which is a snap throw down to 1B)...

Molina_001.gif

1. Get sideways to the target.
2. Ball to the ear.
3. Rotate and throw.

Here's a video clip of my younger son doing a crow hop, which is what I teach my OFers, both boys and girls, to use...

Video_Throwing_Ian_CrowHop_06252008_001.gif

His little sister can do a pretty good approximation of this (which is the benefit that accrues to younger kids).

You'll notice no showing the ball to CF in either clip.

I will say that I am seeing more and more baseball catchers show the ball to the ump. However, this doesn't do anything good and at a minimum reduces their pop time and in the worst case can lead to elbow problems. Molina sometimes practices showing the ball to the ump on his practice throws, but he clearly doesn't actually do this on his money throws (because it's too slow).

Ouch!!! Molina's throw looks like it would hurt. His lower body is way out of sync with his upper body. My DD doesn't have the upper body strength to pull that off.

As for your son, all I will say is that I played centerfield most of my baseball career, and I never threw like you have taught him to throw.

I would encourage anyone interesting in learning the components of the overhand throw to check into what Hodge has to say. He is an excellent resource on the overhand throw.

Oct 12, 2009
Ouch!!! Molina's throw looks like it would hurt. His lower body is way out of sync with his upper body. My DD doesn't have the upper body strength to pull that off.

All I'm focused on is the arm action, which is what you see in most high-level softball players (both infielders and catchers).

Also there are really no sync issues. This is very typical for a catcher making a snap throw. He achieves some separation, and throws with his entire body, which is all you can get as a C.

Girls' footwork does have to be better because it can be harder for them to just muscle up on the ball.

As for your son, all I will say is that I played centerfield most of my baseball career, and I never threw like you have taught him to throw.

First, I'm not sure what problems you see in his mechanics. He throws harder than anyone in his grade and gave up 1 hit in 20 innings last year, so I'm not sure what problem you have with these mechanics.

Second, these are totally natural mechanics, which is kind of the point. The problem is that most kids have to be coached to do the stupid stuff (like showing the ball to CF). Yes, girls don't come to this pattern as easily due to less strength (and less practice), but they are capable of getting there.

P.S. I have some clips of ULL players throwing that I will post.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
My problem with this drill is a girl is much weaker in the arms than boys plus they are throwing a heavier ball. If you just try turning your hand while going foward it makes elbow drop and tuck. I also have girls show ball to third base but its more like front of coaches box at third just alittle turned forward, unless they are cupping then all the way sideways. Thanks for info now i need to try and talk to coach. All my travel players on team are complaining. Coach is teaching this but he does nt do it him self. Going in to work with pitchers on high school team for him, maybe i can slip this in. Thanks for the all the input.
PS i dont have my girls crow hop thats an extra move IMO they dont need with the field size. Catch, turn, and throw.

Thanks Ron

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
My problem with this drill is a girl is much weaker in the arms than boys plus they are throwing a heavier ball. If you just try turning your hand while going foward it makes elbow drop and tuck. I also have girls show ball to third base but its more like front of coaches box at third just alittle turned forward, unless they are cupping then all the way sideways. Thanks for info now i need to try and talk to coach. All my travel players on team are complaining. Coach is teaching this but he does nt do it him self. Going in to work with pitchers on high school team for him, maybe i can slip this in. Thanks for the all the input.
PS i dont have my girls crow hop thats an extra move IMO they dont need with the field size. Catch, turn, and throw.

Thanks Ron

I have Howard Kobata's defensive skills dvds. He focuses a lot on foot work which I really like. We work a lot on Catch, Pop, and throw.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
LMAO. I'm sitting here reading this, thinking, "show the ball to third base"? Envisioning it in my head as some painful, tortured twisting of the wrist to try to put the ball into position. Then it comes to me. . .I'm a lefty. Duh.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves