Thoughts on this Coach's Letter to Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2012
When I get a letter like this from a coach or a teacher (sometimes its a "contract") I send one BACK and tell them what my expectations are of them with a reminder that as a child's parent I am the ultimate gatekeeper of their wellbeing and am not a potted plant and p.s. if it comes down to what I know is best and what you think is best I win and also its nice to know how great you think you are as a coach or teacher but I think I am doing a pretty good job as a parent too and thank you very much for your letter.

Did he tell the fans in St. Louis not to cheer too? That part is just ridiculous.

Why should I care what his religiouis convictions are? Does he need to know mine? No meat on Friday?

Oct 19, 2009
I think it was a too preachy as well and actually a bit condescending. I do believe in a preseason meeting where the coach establishes expectations and rules and maybe talks about some past problems so they can be avoided. This is over the top IMHO.

Also don't agree that they must be silent and can't shout supportive cheers. When I was a kid I always liked hearing my mom and dad cheer as I approached the batters box. I think kids actually derive strength from this.

Sep 18, 2011
I like a lot of it but I don't undrstand the part about "being honest about my religious beliefs." What the heck does that have to do with baseball? I'm not a Christian and would find it offensive if I dropped my kid off at practice only to learn later that the coach talked up and down about his lord and savior. It's simply not an appropriate setting. And really, no words of encouragement from the stands?? Dignified, polite clapping only?? I do like the fact that he stressed good sportsmanship and hustle. I just think his letter could have used a serious edit.

Apr 11, 2012
I didnt know I had it but I think I developed ADD on that novel...it kicked in on about paragraph 12 I think.....:)

prior to that, it was saying all the right things, and I'm sure just like every case of a coaches "best intentions", it got altered or compromised at some point by something....

seriously though, it was good reading.....thanks for sharing!

Oct 25, 2009
I can't decide which is the most thankless, coaching or umping. That's why I will NEVER be a head coach. And why I will support my head coach 100%.

Fortunately, there are enough great kids to make coaching worthwhile. But there have been times I seriously question myself about it being a waste of time and effort.

Bad parents can destroy an otherwise wonderful experience. I basically hear him saying I'm the coach, I know what I'm doing, this team is for the kids, this is your opportunity to leave with no hard feelings.

I would let him know I'm an adult, a parent, a fan. In that order. If he respects that, I'll respect him as the coach.

I like the advice I heard attributed to Coach Donna Papa, UNC Tar heels: "Don't be THAT parent!"

Jul 1, 2010
I see almost all of his points, but I think the letter was more than a bit much. As to the Christian part, walk the walk then someone might listen if you choose to talk.

As far as cheering for the kids, perhaps he meant the cheers that go "way to go girl, don't forget to keep your eye on the ball and your head down, don't dip your shoulders, quit moving your feet, quit casting, you go girl".

Nov 29, 2009
IDK seems like a rant to me.

The coach’s actions will address most of what he says. I think he would be better off just highlighting a few things he cares about instead of this long winded speech.

This may sound harsh, but until you've been on the coaching side of the dugout you can't understand the full meaning of this letter. I could have written a lot of it. I don't agree with all of it. But the gist of the letter is spot on.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
100% agree with Sparky...

It is too long, and it could stand some editing.

I think the request for the parents to be quiet during a little league game is ridiculous.

I understand and agree with the "situational hitting and pitching" paragraph, but I'm not sure a little leaguer is going to get as much out of it as he thinks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach